Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had fitted lightweight wheels to a 2015 generation Blade ?
I have been pretty happy with the handling on my bike, very stable. However it would be nice if it could be a bit more agile.
Been looking at lightweight wheels as everyone raves about them, particularly the carbon ones. I have seen some very nice Dymag alloy wheels at a decent price which I think I prefer over the carbons. A little concerned however as I have been told the standard OEM wheels on my bike are already pretty light, and its a chunk of change for wheels if they have little effect. I am sure the carbon ones are a good bit lighter but the Dymags..?
Would love to hear any comments if anyone has experienced the effects of the lighter wheels.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I can't help directly with your 2015, but I do advise that you do some deep research on this. There are some horror stories of carbon wheels cracking, especially when subject to the rougher type roads. I think BMW in particular suffered with the H4. I know they're no Dymag, but just passing this on.

I do have the 2018 SP2 which has forged Brembos which are noticeably lighter than the cast wheels. Forget about all the stats of rolling mass and inertia - that's too technical for me. I can say though, that the bike 'feels' much lighter and the cornering and tip in is far easier than with cast wheels. Using that as a base, I'd expect you to feel positive difference in your handling, but whether it's worth the high cost I'll leave to you!! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You nigelrb, interesting info. The BST carbon wheel people tell me they sell carbon wheels at a ratio of 10 sets to one compared to the alloy ones.. Yes a pretty large investment if they dont make a decent improvement.
The CBR handles well, just quite a bit off effort to get it from one side to the other if your pressing on... Maybe I should look into geometry changes before I spend the cash..
I also have a 2002 Ducati 998, it to was a little lethargic turning, however with some set up..raising the rear dropping the forks through the clamps it woke it right up.. however I have been told its not the way with the Blade..
Some more homework to be done..
Appreciate your input..

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Do have a look at various tyre profiles too. Not all 120 x 70s are the same (although they should be). Some have a more triangular profile, which will help enormously with tip in and apex grip. I feel more confident with the Pirelli Super Corsa than any other, but admit I haven't tried such renowned greats such as Michelins M7 and M9RR.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts