Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The place was Lydenberg South Africa, it's a horrible little town with only one real attraction, the Pass, twenty something odd kilometers of winding tar set on a sheer drop that quite literally sometimes goes down into the clouds. I was out for a fun run with a few mates, their bikes were smaller and after a while I got bored of playing with them and flew off on my own. By that stage I'd had my 929 for about six months and was getting really comfortable with her, too comfotble. I dropped down into a fairly tight right hander going well over 160, as I swept onto the white line something caught the tar, causing a savage scraping sound that made me lift her up a bit to get away from. Suddenly I was on the yellow heading for a barrier and a drop off of the edge of the earth, I tried to tuck back in but my rear tyre slid off of the tar and I found myself skidding around the last of the corner like a cinder-track rider, bike flying virtually sideways, nose pointed forewards with the rail just behind my back tyre and me hammering the throttle in an attempt to climb back onto the tar. Just as I thought that I had her back I noticed the storm water ledge. In a last attempt to regain control I whipped the ass onto the tar but this forced my front tyre into the line of the concrete... I remember seeing it coming and vaguely the impact but there's no memory of the flight or the fall. I was lucky enough to have completed the turn by that time and was thrown straight onto the tar, must have landed well over sixty meters from where the crunch happened, knees and hands bleeding, helmet barely intact and leathers well scuffed but still able to get up and limp back to my baby, who was shedding all of her oil in a sorry heap in the center of the road ... That was November, it's now June and I'm almost finished putting her back together. I never want to be without my wings for that long again in my life, it's been agonising.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That sounds like a hell of a ride. Heres a man who can atest to wearing leathers. Six months isn't that long of a time to have a bike. It's been in recovery for most of the time you have had it. Glad you'll be reunited soon! Just take it all back in slowly. Safe riding friend.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yeah I've had a good deal of time to think about it and so many of the other foolhardy things I had been doing up to that point and my return will have to be slow and steady. Just wish my big crash had come on the little bandit I had had before, though I suppose I should be thankful to be relatively unharmed, I've seen what accidents do to people. Have a freind whose arm is a limp sausage of constant pain and have known others who are no longer with us. Mind you, crippling injury aside I think it's not a bad way to go, beats dying of old age in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of you by a mile but that's a personal thing.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
:eek:
Wow, quite the intro!
Glad you made it out well enough to be more concerned about your bike!
:rotfl::rotfl:
That's your big one, done and over so welcome and ride safe.
:welcome:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Mind you, crippling injury aside I think it's not a bad way to go, beats dying of old age in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of you by a mile but that's a personal thing.
No. That is how it should be and you are right. Just make it when you are over 50. I don't know if there is riding in the afterlife so don't sell yourself short here. The rest of the world need to think that way though. I hate people who sit in safe bubbles their whole damn misserable lives.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well hopefully I'll be able to afford things like ABS and Traction Control before I'm fifty ;) (Though I do have tons of love and respect for the raw unbridled nature of the 929)... That's another thing, I had my suspension setup done by a guy who thinks he knows what he's talking about, my tyre pressure settings where also from the same guy and about 0.5 bar too hard on the front and more on the rear, I'm not saying these issues were the cause but they certainly didn't help. I've done a hell of a lot of research since my fall, it has definitely served to educate me, can't wait to take my new knowledge onto the road....

Before you start with a new mechanic, first check what he rides and how long he's been in that class. Years of experience don't mean a thing if they are in the wrong field.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts