Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm replacing my stator (for the second time) and this time the stator cover gasket didn't survive.. I have a tube of loctite 5926 blue silicon, it worked great on the clutch cover, so it should be ok right?

Edit: blue 5926 hardens in 24 hours, good up to 250 degrees celsius and is oil resistant

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Just cut one out of a cereal box.
Wet it with some oil to soften it before fitting and you shouldn't need any sealant.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet, that sounds good, will try that..
Thanks a lot for being so quick to help out, you're the big reason this forum is the first I go to when I need help!

·
Registered
91 Posts
The ultra black is the best, I've never had any leaks using it.
If you can put crank cases together with it I don't see why a stator cover would be a problem. Also you can use Honda bond which is used for applications where metal to matal surfaces are required.:freebird:
My 06 has no gasket just the rtv ultra.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
A new gasket is what, about 10 bucks? I'd just get a new one, although you're probably ok with the gasket-maker stuff...

Cereal box? What kind, Cheerios or Cap'n Crunch? Maybe you've had it work, but I'm of the opinion that it's just cardboard, which is going to soak in the oil and deteriorate. Don't think it'd be very heat resistant, either.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I've built complete motors without using a single OEM card gasket and I don't use sealant when I build a motor. Not very many years ago it was very common practise :)
Never had one fail - ever.
If I have the gasket handy I'll use it but if not I'm not going to waste time ordering one.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
I've built complete motors without using a single OEM card gasket and I don't use sealant when I build a motor. Not very many years ago it was very common practise :)
Wow!
I've used cardboard as an emergancy gasket a few times in the past, but, always replaced as soon as i could* how far have you run them bladeracer?

*never thought it would last

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Forever. Since I don't use sealant they don't get damaged when you remove the cover so you can re-use them over and over - just as you can with the OEM gaskets.
My car engine I built last year and it's done 25,000kms since with no leaks.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
Forever. Since I don't use sealant they don't get damaged when you remove the cover so you can re-use them over and over - just as you can with the OEM gaskets.
My car engine I built last year and it's done 25,000kms since with no leaks.
I want to give it a try now....

:D possibly, i'll use loopys Z* as a guinea pig:D

*needs a gasket set before we start the rebuild.. keep finding other thing to buy first(maybe project cardboard gasket starts hear?!):rotfl:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
You just need make sure it's good quality card.
Firm and dense.
The stuff I prefer is from Sanitarium Weet-Bix boxes but I don't know if you'd have those in the UK?
You can also buy proper gasket sheet from auto parts shops if you prefer.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Firm and dense.
The stuff I prefer is from Sanitarium Weet-Bix boxes but I don't know if you'd have those in the UK?
You could do that... but then you cant brag that your engine is held together with little more than cereal boxes and raw ingenuity :D

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
Firm and dense.
They called weetabix* in Uk..
I fancy trying the boxes myself (if nothin else.. to see how well they last)

*shall go raid the factory... It only 40miles away in kettering (and I work in Kettering nearly every day)

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
If I have the gasket handy I'll use it but if not I'm not going to waste time ordering one.
Huh, interesting! :) That's a surprise to me. Learn somethin' new everyday! I wonder if our cereal boxes in the states are as good? :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it took me a while but she's up and running and no leaks so far. Used Kelloggs All-Bran, the healthiest and most expensive cereals I had. But it was worth it, should help increase bike value :eyebrows: And I didn't have to wait the recommended 24 hours for the silicon to solidify.. Neat trick :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts