Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE: The Sheriff's Department held a press conference at 2:30 p.m. Central Time. They have video of the stunters in action and are vowing to identify and charge everyone present including spectators. (Charges could range from providing false information to the investigators all the way through conspiracy indictments.) The rider of the Gixxer who killed the cameraman looks like he'll be facing a felony charge of motor vehicle homicide.

I'll tell you what gang, images from the video footage they showed (only a snippet of what authorities have, I'm sure) will be seared into the minds of all citizens, local street cops and insurance underwriters who see it. Not a good thing...

--

Last night at about 5:30, a 31-year-old man was killed when he was run down by a speeding motorcycle. Guys, I was literally at the same exact spot the day before when I took the pics of that USAF antenna as posted in another thread. Of course, I was alone and simply trolling around the countryside.

I made a call to a deputy I know and it sounds like the guy was videotaping the bikes as they screamed past. Stupid. Just plain stupid.

News LINK

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Hate to sound so cold here, but, can you say 'natural selection'? I feel very badly that this guy died, but how stupid is that to stand in the middle of a road w/bikes whizzing by on either side of you at God knows what speeds?!

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
I actually saw a video of some people doing that on an abandoned runway.  The guy with the camera got clipped by one of the bike's mirrors @ ~130mph  Both rider and camera-man ended up in the hospital with sever injuries/broken bones.  Wasn't pretty

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ND4SPDSHO : Another injury and death, and even more bad rep for us. When will it end already?
Unfortunately, it probably won't end (much to my chagrin). Did you happen to read Starks' editorial in this month's Motorcyclist?

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Motopilot : why would you do this on a public road?
Well, I think we'd most all be liars if we suggested we didn't wick it up on public roads now and again (except for folks who have given up the street for full-time track fun).

That said, I agree 100% with your sentiments; getting together with 30 or 40 other sportbikers to participate in wild stunts and high speed antics is just plain idiotic.

I very much enjoy owning a powerful, thoroughly modern sporting motorcycle, much the same as I'd love to own a Nissan 350Z for instance, but you're right - you have to know when and where to exploit the vehicle's accelerative capabilities.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just love getting thrown into that catagory of riders, because I own a 929. I am almost 30, pretty responsible, and love sport biking. But I absolutley hate it when I placed into a catagory that most joe publics think of as a bunch of kids on 'crotch rockets' terrorizing the roads. Mabey I should just get a Harley, at least then I will be thought of as some mid-life crisis guy with too much money burning a hole in my pocket.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Chain : Quote (ND4SPDSHO @ June 02 2003, 12:46pm)Another injury and death, and even more bad rep for us. When will it end already?
Unfortunately, it probably won't end (much to my chagrin). Did you happen to read Starks' editorial in this month's Motorcyclist?
I did see that, and was a bit surprised to see more evidence that stunting seems to be moving more to the mainstream, much like 'extreme' sports in other categories. I don't like that it reflects on the rest of us that are involved in the sport for other reasons not having to do with being daredevils.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
We have all done our share of stupid things on the road, but it seems like there is some sort of competition to see how stupid things can get. After a while people tend to forget how dangerous some of things we do are.

As much as I like reading it, it's no wonder than conq wanted to get away from the stunting scene on this forum.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Is there any way to talk sense in to any of these people? Getting very sick of reading about this stuff

Z...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Chain : Quote (ND4SPDSHO @ June 02 2003, 12:46pm)Another injury and death, and even more bad rep for us. When will it end already?
Yeah.. I just read it. Freaking jackass. Makes me question my decision to renew my subscription last month. Nobody in this 'sport' needs attitudes like that.

He's got the right to say it, I've got the write to dislike it. I don't care if they want to wad themselves and I guess I figure they should be able to wad their bikes too but man.. do it somewhere else (like in a graveyard, save us the expense).

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
I've lived in Tucson (not a small town) since late '74. To date I have seen maybe 3 wheelies in town. Also have never seen a newspaper article featuring that type of crap or regarding squids.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
a darwin candidate?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Stunting is growing. They want to make it an extreme sport, like freestyle. I can understand why they do it. I can't understand why they think they should do it on high traffic roads.
I was talking to a guy who does stand ups on the hwy here, he flat out said he loves the look on people faces as he pulling these stunts. I said what if you crash and die or kill other people? He said 'So. I'll be dead, I won't have to worry about it.'

Nice attitude huh?

·
Registered
548 Posts
The whole stunting thing is getting very popular here in CA. I was riding on hwy. 13 the other day and doing about 75 mph. in the left lane and here comes a couple of kids on R1's passing me on the right at about 100mph. they are wearing t- shirts and tennis shoes and then set about doing standup wheelies in traffic. So I'm thinking squids, good thing they are in front of me I can watch them crash. Just a minute later I check my rear veiw and see a yellow bike closing fast in my lane. Well this guy buzzed me with about a half inch to spare at like 120 mph. on my left side between me and the median. How could the general public not be angry about this stuff I'm pissed about it. Stunters

·
Registered
735 Posts
CBRjack : The whole stunting thing is getting very popular here in CA. I was riding on hwy. 13 the other day and doing about 75 mph. in the left lane and here comes a couple of kids on R1's passing me on the right at about 100mph. they are wearing t- shirts and tennis shoes and then set about doing standup wheelies in traffic. So I'm thinking squids, good thing they are in front of me I can watch them crash. Just a minute later I check my rear veiw and see a yellow bike closing fast in my lane. Well this guy buzzed me with about a half inch to spare at like 120 mph. on my left side between me and the median. How could the general public not be angry about this stuff I'm pissed about it. Stunters
Oh....
Was that you Jack?

j/k
I think it's the weather. It's been pretty warm and I've been seeing squids all over, doing wheelies these past few days.
Brings out all kinds of riders.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Chain : ... now and again (except for folks who have given up the street for full-time track fun).
no love for the dirtay stunters?

I had to take my love (and severe lack of) wheelies to the dirt, which is where I keep them.
Though I have found the equine population to not be on-board with this program...and I even spent 350$ on a quiet pipe, upps..sorry horsey

(I love being relevant)..
I can get the stunTING thing, I think I'd give up riding if I couldnt bump stoppies and at least try my hand @ half the crap I see on the videos (and fail )...but that stuff all has NO place on the street. I dont get the stunNA thing, which is frigging annoying, and (as is everything else on the planet) #45435 reason why I sold my 954. I couldnt deal with that lofting arm from every 17 year old group of kids I passed...the first few times I thought 'how do these kids know about hitler?' then it occured that I wasnt on my rear pegs going through a school zone at 220mph+ .
I go to the local hangout, and it used to be all mommy and daddys money with the latest in cars and stereos and hydraulics and all that bs. Now 20' subwoofers are out, 24' chrome bling, imports with grapefruit launchers, and any crotchrocket (mostly the Kaw's in my area) are in.
Its just too much, too many people get their kid a bike for graduation or something and think 'well theyll learn, theyre safe..' and then hate MC's forever when their kid dies (I wont mention the situation on here we had..). Its just a shame, MC's are a good form of release for some, therapy for others, and for the majority just good clean fun. But the idiot ungrateful youth of today (and the media, maybe just maybe) are ruining its future, or what it has left of one...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
RedRocker : I just love getting thrown into that catagory of riders, because I own a 929.  I am almost 30, pretty responsible, and love sport biking.  But I absolutley hate it when I placed into a catagory that most joe publics think of as a bunch of kids on 'crotch rockets' terrorizing the roads....
Try being 21 on an RC51, I'm a very responsible rider for any age, and I'm sure I'll get bunched with all the stunting jackoffs when I get home and get back on my bike.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts