Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NASA Announced that it was awarding their Orion space vehicle contract to Lockheed, who had been competing against a Northop Grumman / Boeing team. The Orion capsule is the manned portion of the system, consisting of the Ares rockets and the Orion.

Story Here

Oh well. I had thought of going back to NG to work on what was then called the Crew Exploration Vehicle. I guess that's not gonna happen now!

I also think it's kind of funny that all of the experience of Mercury, Gemini, Apollo (Both the Lunar Module and the C/SM), Skylab, the Shuttle, and the ISS are all on the Boeing / Northrop Grumman side, but yet NASA picked Lockheed. I wonder how long it will be before some senior NASA officials go to work for Lockeed a la Boeing's KC-10 debacle.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Wow, I thought NG would've had that one wrapped up.

Strange...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find it interesting how much military is here at .org. Its refreshing :patriot:

NGIT representing here... Dont hold me against them.
No worries... I worked at NGIT for 3 years, until they closed my business unit down. It was a textbook case of the executive staff driving a business into the ground.

I have since moved on to better things, although I miss some of the work I did at NG.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it would seem that we are not the only people slightly confused at NASA's contractor choice. Here is an article over at HowStuffWorks about it.

Click here

From the article:
On September 1, 2006, NASA announced it had awarded the multi-billion-dollar contract to build the next-generation manned spacecraft to Lockheed Martin Corporation. While Lockheed Martin is an aerospace giant, with tons of experience in building unmanned rockets, capsules and probes, it has never built a manned spacecraft before. In fact, when it won the contract for the previous iteration of the next-generation manned spacecraft, the X-33 space plane, the project was a complete failure, and NASA's $900 million investment was a wash. So many are wondering why Lockheed won the contract over the team of Northrop Grumman and Boeing. The two companies, together or individually, have built nearly all of NASA's manned spacecraft to date, including the Apollo craft that made the first moon landing and the current space shuttle fleet.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
So many are wondering why Lockheed won the contract over the team of Northrop Grumman and Boeing.
Some big cheese at NASA has a brother-in-law that just left NG or Boeing and went to work for Lockheed.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Orion looks a great deal like the current space shuttle. NASA has betrayed us all. The shuttle was supposed to be inexpensive and reliable way to get into space, and truly open the door to commercial investment. It did neither. It is undependable, and costs considerably more than rockets for the same job.

So what does NASA do? Bases the technology for the next generation launcher on the technology for the last generation launcher (which doesn't work right) and gives the contract to a company that has never made a manned space vehicle and botched the last attempt. :thumbd:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Orion looks a great deal like the current space shuttle. NASA has betrayed us all. The shuttle was supposed to be inexpensive and reliable way to get into space, and truly open the door to commercial investment. It did neither. It is undependable, and costs considerably more than rockets for the same job.

So what does NASA do? Bases the technology for the next generation launcher on the technology for the last generation launcher (which doesn't work right) and gives the contract to a company that has never made a manned space vehicle and botched the last attempt. :thumbd:
Are you confused? The Orion looks nothing like the shuttle, the billion dollar sinkhole X-33 however did.

The Orion looks more like Mercury...you should be happy, it's you know, a rocket/capsule and stuff.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Please forgive me, I stand corrected. I was thinking of NASA's next generation orbiter.

This is even worse. Since they can't build a launch vehicle worth shit, they're going back to rockets and 60's technology. You are correct, the X-33 bears a resemblance to the current oribter. However it was different and revolutionary in almost every way, and it was scuttled due to a faulty design of the fuel tanks.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The two companies, together or individually, have built nearly all of NASA's manned spacecraft to date, including the Apollo craft that made the first moon landing and the current space shuttle fleet.

From the article:
Judging by their records it kinda makes sense to me that they want to try something different... And I'm not referring to the Columbia accident in particular, but to them not being able to solve some issues with a definite and conclusive solution.
:idunno:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts