Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My only question is, where can you put a compressor and tank on the bike to raise and lower it on demand....woowoo

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ohlins also debuted their air forks at the Milan show.  While it's quite apparent that Ohlins knows what they're doing, I am left with two questions: how is the spring rate determined (air being near infinitely compressible), and how does one set the pre-load correctly for a given motorcycle and rider?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Better yet...what about the constant adjusting due to air temp, barometric pressures, etc? Do these variables have minimal influence on the suspension geometry specifics of these units?

Here is a pic of the forks for the lazy members.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
'Air' is a pretty loose term. Many gases (like nitrogen) don't have the heat issues, and its properties are far more predicatble than air. I'm guessing this is what they use.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nitrogen is a more stable gas. i believe F1 and CART and probably others use it for the tires among other things.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
(OT)

Insane!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Somehow the thought of the seal sliding over a rock ding and evacuating the air cylinder leaves me a bit nonplussed at 80 mph while cranked over full-tilt. I'm sure they have figured this into the design, but breaking a spring is pretty hard to do under the worst of conditions, but would be catastrophic for the bike and rider if it ever happened.

Fox wouldn't even send me a prototype shock for my 929 because they thought the swingarm might touch the piggyback and vent the system. We're talking death benefits here, not just incidentals . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts