Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bring her home Jan 9th. She isn't old enough just yet. I am betting that she will be named "Friday" because that's what the woman wants. At least we can say "thank god it's Friday" everytime we come home to a happy puppy.

-Shrub

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a German Short haired pointer. That pic I think was taken at only like 3 weeks old. She won't be ready to come home till the 9th so I am going to take these pics and a couple others and have some nice prints made at Kinko's and put them in a box for her. I really wanted to walk in the door today with a puppy but you would be amazed how many people are selling out of their dogs around this time. I hope it works out well, she is very cute. Maybe I could even get a little... :eyebrows: :boobies:

-Shrub

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As an example of an adult Pointer...here is the big daddy playing baseball.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CRU said:
Aawww. That is so cute.

BTW, one word for you, man ... flash.

Dog name? Photography? I didn't take the pics...they were e-mailed to me by the current owners. I asked them to take a couple more for me in order to get the present to turn out right.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
My backdoor neighbor (I don't know what the proper term is for the guy that lives in the house across from your back lawn---anybody?) had a GS. His (dog's) name was Duke. Looked just like the adult baseball player dog picture. Duke was a cool dog. He was a great hunter too!

Remember, it takes a lot of early work with puppy and obedience training, as well as socialization. However, it's all worth the early effort. This dog will become your friend for life and a great companion. I guess, what I'm really trying to say is
:goodmod:
~~~~~~~~~~~

At the time that I knew Duke, I had a black lab and a Brittany Spaniel. I no longer have gun dogs, (they were my last hunting dogs actually) but I do have a book I highly recommend if you can find it, written by Robert G. Wehle entitled _Wing & Shot_ . (Ampersand is not a typo)

I bought one of his books from the fourth printing in 1971. :eek: For all you kids out there, this hardcover 190 page book cost me a whopping $8.50 USD back then, but since it had lots of photos, I expected it to be expensive. However, everything in that book is still good today IF you guys are interested in training a GOOD HUNTER. This is not your everyday dog obedience training guide. John Rendell of The New York Times said..." (this book) is a "must" for the library of every sportsman."

This book was published by The Country Press Scottsville, NY. I cannot find an ISBN anywhere on it. However, a search by your local bookseller might find a copy.
~~~~~~~

However, the Scrooge in me has to come out and ruin your day with this...

How're you gonna top this next year???

BTDT

·
Registered
682 Posts
maxib: We have a lot of homes with no back allies so I call these "arse to arse neighbors". Not the way I like to live as their trees will spew all all fallen leaves on my lawn & since I happen to be south of said neighbor their trees are leaning into my yard with sun & rain being blocked by their over growen trees as they now nothing about growth of trees & being a fruit growing area like so many they have to have fruit trees & they are saturated with aphids, coddling moths, leaf curler & so much more. I am a retired fruit orchardist & know what it requires to grow, spray, thin, & prune fruit trees SO only tree in my yard is a Maple tree at the front. I obtain my frut from the grocery store.

WetShrub: The dog is beauty. I knew a chap that bought one & trained it as a pointer in his hunting of game birds. That dog was almost a one man dog, but it also leaned on me as a friend.

Going to be a lot of cleaning up in the home for the first while. They are good learners though a bit high strung so they need a lot of love from the owners & I noticed when they did something wrong they felt the shame ---- reason I say they need a lot of love from the owner.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
She flipped out when she saw the pics. I only wish I could have come home with her. Now she is making me contact the breeders to see if we can go take a look at her.

I have read up some stuff on Pointers and how energetic they are. Hopefully my 2 year old Lab can take care of some of the energy draining before I get home. I bet they will play a lot.

I know exactly what you mean about shame. The lab does that perfectly. Anything in the back yard is her domain. She will chew, destroy anything back there and knows that she is wrong when I get home. She cowers and hides cuz she knows she screwed up. Here are a couple more pics..

EDIT: I lightened up the first 2 pics in the original post. They still don't know how to use a flash unfortunately. Or they were trying to keep from scaring the dog.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
when I was a child my father was always breeding German Short-Haired Pointers. always awesome dogs. and very "child friendly". enjoy. spay, neuter? tail bobbed?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tail has been "docked", yes. We do plan on spaying her as well when she is old enough. No interest in breeding really. Just in a companion and wonderful friend.

-Shrub

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
WetShrub said:
EDIT: I lightened up the first 2 pics in the original post. They still don't know how to use a flash unfortunately. Or they were trying to keep from scaring the dog.
Cute pup! The breeder won't use the flash because the pup's eyes are sensitive...don't want to blind the little one.

I knew a pointer and his name was Willie...he was such a sweet dog...very smart too. Good luck with your little baby. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts