Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Looking at a 2008 1000RR....Advice needed..

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  TwistyTony 
#1 ·
I'm looking for any advise on the 2008 CBR 1000RR's....looking at one that has just under 10k on it, only has exhaust as the only add-on. Currently have a 01 929, plan on keeping that...got a pretty good deal on this 08, so trying to figure out if I want to keep it, flip it...or what. Compared to my 929, what will i gain/lose? Havent driven it, so dont have anything to go by just yet other that it is super clean, near mint...no issues. I'm possibly trading a cruiser bike that I have for it even up. Any issues to look for on this year/model? Any other good/bad comments? Thanks in advance! I love the looks of my 929 better, just havent grown fond yet of the newer look...but it may grow on me.

#3 ·
At high speed the bike thinks it's really a bird with wings; the side fairings come off the bike because of weak lower tabs from the MFG making it look like the bike have wings as they spread apart. Three friends had the bike and all of them had it happen to them. Remedy is go to Autozone and purchase better push tabs. The oil consumption bladeracer mentioned was also a problem two of them had. I suggested synthetic oil to them, don't know the outcome.

#6 ·
bought mine in 2008, the reviews back then and the following couple of years were very good.
I tested it against yamaha R1 and for me it was much better.

Must say I have not had any of the problems mentioned earlier.
Oil consumption:
the bike came with a sticker recomending castrol 10w-30 synthetic. I use 10w50 synthetic (elf)
you only need about 140 ml to go from min to max on the dip stick. this is very small quantity it is easy to overfill and maybe this is what gets burnt

the body panels are pretty strong (I once hit a plastic cone one the road, nothing was damaged nor displaced)
the panels have this complex plastic interlocking arrangement which means that you have to make sure all fits well when you put them together. i guess otherwise they could open up once you get up to speed
i would personally stay away from any mod that affects the complex fuelling system. akro & yoshi make end cans which keeps the O2 sensor. akro also has fitting for ECV cable. to be honest the bike is so powerful, the delivery is so smooth and linear and with the excellent chassis, i don't understand people wanting more power! unless of course you do track riding

#7 ·
I completely agree.
I have 14,000 miles on my '08, original owner, never burns oil, no body panels have ever flown anywhere, even at 160mph.

I have never had, nor ridden a more put together bike, derivable, yet, powerful. When she gets into the upper RPM's you better have your *hit together--it's super strong.

enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.