Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well decided im going to buy an RR4 1000 and join the litre club :) Will keep my 900 for the timing being and ride both and decide which I like best then either put the 1000 lump in the 900 or take the tasty 900 parts (wheels, forks etc) and put them on the RR4 as that was the donor bike anyway!

Done a search on here and cant find many issues reported with the 04-05 bikes, stator issue is all I can see.. Anything I need to pay special attention too when viewing the bikes?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've got an 05. Done the stator/flywheel twice, Once 4000 after I got the bike, then 15k later. Then did the regulator once, and battery twice. Not sure I needed the regulator, but I read it's best to replace all at once for this year. Just did fork seals at 32k.....Other than that and standard maintenance, no problems. Great bikes.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Well decided im going to buy an RR4 1000 and join the litre club :) Will keep my 900 for the timing being and ride both and decide which I like best then either put the 1000 lump in the 900 or take the tasty 900 parts (wheels, forks etc) and put them on the RR4 as that was the donor bike anyway!

Done a search on here and cant find many issues reported with the 04-05 bikes, stator issue is all I can see.. Anything I need to pay special attention too when viewing the bikes?

Alternator rotor and stator were recalls I think.
Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
It'll have HISS though unless you use US parts.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
OK sounds good, whats the draw back with the HISS BR just if you loose the keys?

That's pretty much it :)
I think the system itself rarely fails.
But losing the key should not cost the owner hundreds and hundreds of dollars, especially not when it's only for an immobiliser which will never prevent your bike from being stolen.

Reactions: Lambchops

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
What happened to the engine swap?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could still be on the cards Sky, decided the 08 engine was just too expensive at this time, the one I had my eye on for decent money was from a race car I found out when I contacted the seller and had some internal damage so that was a no no..

Then I looked at 04-07 engines and decided the best was to do this was to buy a bike and part it out, now im buying the bike and deciding how to proceed.. getting quite taken with the 1000 the more pics I look at.. If the bike is way superior to the 900 then it will stay, if not then I will take what I need and part the rest out. Will decide what to do before the winter after some good riding :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
It could still be on the cards Sky, decided the 08 engine was just too expensive at this time, the one I had my eye on for decent money was from a race car I found out when I contacted the seller and had some internal damage so that was a no no..

Then I looked at 04-07 engines and decided the best was to do this was to buy a bike and part it out, now im buying the bike and deciding how to proceed.. getting quite taken with the 1000 the more pics I look at.. If the bike is way superior to the 900 then it will stay, if not then I will take what I need and part the rest out. Will decide what to do before the winter after some good riding :)
Part out a perfectly good 04/05 1KRR? HUH?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

sounds good to me!!! my plan was to rid of my 929 after I was done both bikes! not sure I can get rid of her thou:idunno::rotfl::evilaugh:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah may end up with two bikes Tweezy haha, dont think the missus will let me though... shes already moaning about me buying another.. women eh :whip:

Im looking at a bike tonight, will take some pictures as the ones on the advert arnt very good. Its got Ohlins rear shock, Kteck revalve kit new chain and sprockets, 800 miles on new tyres and pipe and powercommander. Black with black frame etc but not orginal paint.. 9500 miles. Spoke to the guy on the phone, think he said he was 64!! But sounds much younger.. Will see.

Not too worried about colour, if I kept if lets say tempted with the LCR Honda redbull colours used at this weekends round, with my gold OZ and my front Ohlines look forks think that would look rather tasty... Now wonder if the RSV arm will slide in.... heres hoping haha

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Yeah may end up with two bikes Tweezy haha, dont think the missus will let me though... shes already moaning about me buying another.. women eh :whip:

"It's another bike or another girlfriend ... take your pick" :evilaugh:

·
Registered
505 Posts
well she wants to just keep the money as savings, boring!!.. I think an old 900RR (its completely original :rotfl: ) is quite a good investment personally... :)
Not me, I'd rather go for newest as possible. I saw an 08 1KRR other day with 20K on it, for 6k.

Saving would probably be the smartest route tho. :idunno:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes 08 are getting more affordable here also, around the 5.5 mark.. More than I want to spend though, looking at the cheaper end of the RR4/5 market, around 3k is my bugdet for this, but seems to be some good bikes for that!! Some 954's are going for more tbh.

Will get an idea tonight after ive seen this one, will post a pic.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK well ive left a deposit on a new bike!! Yipee!!

Needs a good clean up, its not spent its life getting waxed (until now anyway haha) has 9500 miles with some history but not huge amounts as he's done all the work himself, (older chap 58). Have checked all MOT's and the mileage ties up which is nice. He's owned it 7 years and the first owner was his boss!

Hes very honest told me he did have a slow off this is why the body work was replaced and painted black, also admitted hes tracked it a couple of times. Sounds sweet no rattles and has the ohlins shock and Ktec valves in the forks, new chain and sprockets plus recent tyres it needs for nothing mechanical just a little TLC in places.

Got it for £3100 which is cheap for one off these so happy with what I paid, beat him down a little but he wouldnt budge much.

Wont be able to collect for a few weeks as waiting for the cash to come through to my account.

Ok some pics

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
that's a sick looking bike man, for a steal of a price!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb: I don't think I could tear it down and get rid of it....

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Looks clean enough to me. Ohlins is always a good thing too :D Congrats :thumb:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys, also has a yoshy end can on there also and power commander which is nice :) Going to ride it for the rest of the year then decide what to do, think im going to end up loving it though haha. Will have to try and swing keeping both bikes ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts