Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Looking for advice before buying

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Fastrr 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am a newbie to blades and am trying to buy a second hand one on ebay. I am being confused by a seller who is advertisig a CBR900RRW as a 2000 bike with a displacement on 893cc. Sounds a bit odd. I have a partial frame number from a piccie on the site of JH25C33A. Can anyone point to where I can verify that this is a 2000 mark?

Cheers

Paddy

#3 ·
Hi paddymonster and :welcome: to the .org !

The 2000 model Fireblade was the first fuel injected model and is usually referred to as a 929 - which is its engine displacement... the model designation is RRY for 2000, and RR1 for 2001.

From memory the 893cc engine was superseded by the 918/919cc version in 1998/99 before being replaced by the 'new' 929...

Cheers, Spanky.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. They have confirmed what I suspected. I did a vehicle check and found that the bike was a Japanese import from 1998 and not 2000 bike at all. It also further goes on to tell me that the bike was an insurance write off in 2005, just 6 months before he bought it!!

Thanks for the help. Looks like I will have to wait a while longer before becoming one of the fraternity :idunno:

#7 ·
Welcome to the board! Be one with patience, grasshopper. I too was one without a bike for a while (3 years), and perused stables for almost a year before I found my 51.

Are you in Cambridge, England or Cambridge, Mass?

#9 ·
cycletrader, craigslist, see in person, bring a mechanic/ "knowledgable" friend, cash in hand, bid under on OBO's, ride away happy (or trailer if possible - Uhaul 25$ a day and worth it).

Keep $500 to $1000 on the side for upgrades/ repairs when buying used, have it fully gone through by self or mechanic. Good luck! :thumb:

#10 · (Edited)
Watch the "knowledgeable friends" thing. I just sold a GS about a month and a half ago, they drove up from LA with his knowledgeable friend, and all they were worried about was what color it was. It needed tires, and a chain and the registration was 3 years out, but non-op'ed, and I had to tell them about all that. The color.....Jeeeezass H. Cheeerist. They didn't notice the fork seal leak either. I told them about that, too, when I gave them the extra seals.

Sooooo, knowledgeable friends mean different things to different people.

Now, you guys and myself, we know, we will go and talk sh_t, notice everything, and low ball them on the price, right?

#12 ·
Could be a combination of wanting a specific bike and anything delaying the transaction, like, oh I don't know, the spouse finding out, could mean the purchase doesn't happen. Sometimes you just have to take a chance to get the things you really want, in this case a piece of motorcycling history (said with respect and not snidely.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.