Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on taking a race school in the spring. I'm kicking around the idea of looking for one at Mid-Ohio. Anybody know what group does a race school there?

I plan to get liscensed ASAP in the spring and do at least a couple endurance races next summer. <fingers_crossed>

HD

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I think Fasttrax offers schools to get your racing license. They usually run at Nelson Ledges.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sorry but Nelson's is your only option close by. Other than that you can check the WERA site and take their school elsewhere. I know they don't have one at their Mid-Ohio date, but they might at Putnam or Beaver Run.

FYI, if you want your Fastraxx license for endurance races then you will have to race a couple of times with WERA (enough to get past your provisional license and get the real deal). Otherwise, your best bet is to suck it up and take the race school with Fastraxx at Nelson's.

FYI, the race school isn't much beyond the street school outside of them telling you how to grid up, how the flags run at the start, etc. It is more learning how things are run than teaching you about riding in a race. Although they do let racers in on the 2nd day to get you used to being passed closely on the outside and inside.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lfg929 : Sorry but Nelson's is your only option close by. Other than that you can check the WERA site and take their school elsewhere. I know they don't have one at their Mid-Ohio date, but they might at Putnam or Beaver Run.

FYI, if you want your Fastraxx license for endurance races then you will have to race a couple of times with WERA (enough to get past your provisional license and get the real deal). Otherwise, your best bet is to suck it up and take the race school with Fastraxx at Nelson's.

FYI, the race school isn't much beyond the street school outside of them telling you how to grid up, how the flags run at the start, etc. It is more learning how things are run than teaching you about riding in a race. Although they do let racers in on the 2nd day to get you used to being passed closely on the outside and inside.
So I couldn't go to say a STAR school and then be able to race a Fastraxx at Nelson?

Sup wit dat yo?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Some of the street riding courses can be used for licensing. I found out 3 days before mine expired that a certificate from CLASS was good enough to get a WERA license if I took a written test first. Here it is from the site.....

Quote b) Successfully completing a WERA approved rider’s school. WERA recognizes the following motorcycle ROADRACING schools as the requirement for obtaining a Provisional Novice License: WERA New Riders’ School, Ed Bargy’s Rider School, Kevin Schwantz Suzuki School, Fasttrax Performance riding school, Corner Speed, Star School, Pro Motion, Team Chicago School, F.A.S.T. (Canadian), CLASS, Team Hammer Advanced Riders’ School, Track Riders, MARRC, Freddie Spencer, Viking Race School, California Superbike (must take the classroom part of WERA’s school), & Penguin School. The length of time between taking the riders’ school and racing must not exceed twelve (12) months.

Chris

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NinerPilot : Some of the street riding courses can be used for licensing.  I found out 3 days before mine expired that a certificate from CLASS was good enough to get a WERA license if I took a written test first.  Here it is from the site.....

Quote b) Successfully completing a WERA approved rider’s school. WERA recognizes the following motorcycle ROADRACING schools as the requirement for obtaining a Provisional Novice License: WERA New Riders’ School, Ed Bargy’s Rider School, Kevin Schwantz Suzuki School, Fasttrax Performance riding school, Corner Speed, Star School, Pro Motion, Team Chicago School, F.A.S.T. (Canadian), CLASS, Team Hammer Advanced Riders’ School, Track Riders, MARRC, Freddie Spencer, Viking Race School, California Superbike (must take the classroom part of WERA’s school), & Penguin School. The length of time between taking the riders’ school and racing must not exceed twelve (12) months.
Chris
Wow! I have already taken the Fastraxx Street Rider's School.

·
Registered
433 Posts
CCS and WERA will take CLASS, STAR, and Fastraxx schools to get your license, however, Fastraxx requires you to either take their school or actually hold a racing license already to be licensed through them.

I am assuming you want to run endurance with Fastraxx. If that is the case then you *could* try to use your Fastraxx school to get a CCS or WERA license, and then take your CCS/WERA license and get a Fastraxx license. It will cost you the extra cash for the extra license (about $100).

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lfg929 : CCS and WERA will take CLASS, STAR, and Fastraxx schools to get your license, however, Fastraxx requires you to either take their school or actually hold a racing license already to be licensed through them.

I am assuming you want to run endurance with Fastraxx. If that is the case then you *could* try to use your Fastraxx school to get a CCS or WERA license, and then take your CCS/WERA license and get a Fastraxx license. It will cost you the extra cash for the extra license (about $100).
That might be the way to go since I'm not ruling out WERA races.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Just curious HD, was that Fastrax course the only track day you've had? (Not including your endurance help with lfg?)

I admire those racing. I can stay with the middle of the pack at Fastrax and BeaveRun, but the guys up front are usually hauling at an unbelievable pace. I realized after my 4th track day that I will never be competitive enough to 'lead the pack' or place 1st through 3rd at an amateur race (or 4th through 20th for that matter - LOL). It's too much for me getting passed on the inside (stuffed) and getting passed on the outside at the same time by those who are really hauling ass (both those who are genuinely good and those who are just nuts and careless, and who will take you out with them). I'm not into rubbing elbows at 100mph plus. I'd rather just have some fun with the Performance Riding schools and brag how badass I was to those who weren't there.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Racing definitely isn't for everyone. It usually takes some time for people to be comfortable cruising 100MPH through a turn 6 inches away from the guy next to you. I got used to that racing quads (ok, maybe not at 100MPH) so it doesn't bother me too much. If you can't handle close passing though then racing isn't going to work out for you (speaking generally here, not specifically towards anyone on this thread). The same goes for high speeds, off-track excursions, you crashing, watching someone crash in front of you, etc. All of these things are going to happen in a race.

On the flip side, you have the thrill that comes from studying the guy in front of you to see which turns he is slower at than you, setting him up for the pass, then going for it. Or dicing it up on the final sprint to the finish line. It is a lot of fun.

Having done both sprints and endurance races now I definitely like sprints more. Endurance races are fun but they require dedication from multiple people to make it work. For a sprint you can load yourself up and just go.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SuperDave : Just curious HD, was that Fastrax course the only track day you've had?  (Not including your endurance help with lfg?)
Yes, the Fastraxx course is the only track experience I have...now. I know exactly what you (and others) are thinking: 'One track day and this kid thinks he can race?!?!'

Rest assured. I just want to get my license and then do the appropriate track days/schools as appropriate until I feel I'm ready to do a race.

I'm the biggest wussy on the planet when it comes to being careful. Well, there is Chain, but....

I may wind up taking the racing school at Nelson anyway. I was just hoping to do so at a nicer track. The piece of paper that says I can race is a technicality in my mind. Getting the skills 'I' deem necessary are more important and I think a nicer track may help. Nelson is very bumpy.

HD

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Yeah, I also thought you had only one or so trackdays under your belt. Good to hear that the license is only a piece of paper and more important to you is taking more training, and that you put safety and learning good technique first. Good attitude.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HondaGalToo : Yeah, I also thought you had only one or so trackdays under your belt.  Good to hear that the license is only a piece of paper and more important to you is taking more training, and that you put safety and learning good technique first.  Good attitude.
I don't expect my first race to be, at the earliest, towards the end of next summer. Time to get some track days and one more class.

HD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts