Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Upon installing the new brake lines i tried my best to drain out the old fluid, but when i did, it more slid out as a runny goo, wtf, not sure how the bike was even stopping before. i ended up taking the calipers apart, popping out the pistons and cleaning out the sludge build up. The lack of maintenance from the 2 previous owners is mind boggling.

that sludge is impressive. im actually due on some caliper maintenance on my 954. curious, do you plan to reuse the seals or buy new ones? ill be honest, ive never taken apart a set of calipers. when you put the lines back on does that require a new banjo bolt crush washer?

thanks for the advice. im still drooling over all that gold suspension.... its looking great.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
@954Kevin, If you go by the book, you should never re-use crush washers. But most of us have. I've gotten two or three uses before I don't trust them anymore. Had a used one leak plenty in my fuel line and once on the master brake cylinder. If you have to reuse them, try a light sanding with 320 or 400 grit to smooth out the indentations some.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Upon installing the new brake lines i tried my best to drain out the old fluid, but when i did, it more slid out as a runny goo, wtf, not sure how the bike was even stopping before. i ended up taking the calipers apart, popping out the pistons and cleaning out the sludge build up. The lack of maintenance from the 2 previous owners is mind boggling.
Mmmm, looks like peanutbutter and honey. And many many cycles of heat and cool, and some good ol' h20. Put that on your ritz cracker! :devil

Good on you for not screwing around and just diving into it. I'd suspect your original seals were just a little swollen. Did they fit back in place ok?
fwiw, new seals aren't cheap. I spent about $80 on OEM seals for the calipers and master.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So the last few days got kinda hectic and i never got a chance to post up anything before heading out to the track this last weeknd. We did have a to make a few adjustment at the track, typical for being the first time out with this bike. Over all things went well.

I only have one real issue and that is the red light comes on with the FI lite up on the dash. I noticed it on day one after really starting to push it. Came in checked everything out, wasnt leaking anything and it all looked good, let the bike cool down before starting it up again and the red light was gone so i headed back out. It came on again later in the day, this time i just pulled off, shut the bike down for like 30sec and when i tirned it back on the light was gone. It only did it to once the 2nd day, i had just come off down pit lane, shut the bike off for like 2 min maybe to talk with another rider and then headed back out and was pushing it pretty good when the lite and FI came on. This time i contuinued riding the rest of the session (like 15 min) bike acted fine, no power loss of wierd throttle. Came in to the pits, cycled the ignition and the light was gone.

At this point im going to change out the plugs, probably pull the fuel pump and check the filter. Im not sure if this bike will store info and tell me why it was coming on if i hooked it up to a computer or somthing.

Here are a couple standing pics from the weekend, action shots will follow later this week.

Even got my dad out om the track on his beautiful vfr800

Attachments

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
awesome! the 954 does store fi codes. there is a jumper located under the seat you use to display and reset the stored codes. rather than type out the procedure ill just suggest you jump online and do a google search for "cbr 954 service manual pdf"

it can be found easy enough and contains all the information on how to check the codes and their meanings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Finally getting around to posting some action pics.
Might be heading down to cali for a day in november, so bike is just sitting until i decided if im going or not. Excited to tear into this thing this winter and really fresh'n her up. I felt like i was kinda rushed when i took delivery of her just 2 weeks before i had to be on the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not much going on here in the winter months of the PNW. I did cut the akro can down, i think it came out pretty good, alsi got s fancy new exhaust hanger that i wrapped in 3m carbon. After xmas i will refreshing the ohlins and installing the proper springs for my weight. Also need to upgrade the pc3, havent decided yet if i wanna just install the pc3R my buddy has or go the bazzaz route.

Better pictures will come when i get a chance to get her outside.

I also picked up this project, 04 1krr .....

It will be a full time track bike. I will still ride the 54 at the track, but will leave it in street trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Finally got the marvic wheels mounted. Took alittle longer due to a powdercoating issue, but all is good now. Wieght saving wasnt as much as i thought it would be. Only 1lb in the front, 4 in the rear. Alot of the weight savings in the rear is in the cush drive setup, the hinda stuff is pretty bulky.

Next up is a better rearsets and re-doing the ohlins, going to upgrade the valving and get the proper springs for my wieght.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Off season is finally over, first track day is this next weekend. Some big off season changes included swapping out the black frame a sandblasted silve one, along with the upper triple, upper fairing stay and some small fairing brackets. Full emissions delete with block off plates and samco hoses.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
YCRS!!! Didnt ride the 54 at the track as it started running funny the day before. I think it might have been bad gas, not really sure. Got it home and tore it down, found nothing crazy, put it back togther and it's been fine.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts