Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Man, haven't posted in here for awhile. So much has happened since may of 2019 I don't know where to start. Let's see... well in July of 2019 I had a crash at the track that almost killed, woke up 3 weeks later in the hospital. That pretty much ended my 2019 season. Don't worry it wasn't on my 54. Then covid hit everywhere, the world pretty much stopped. I spent my stimulus money wisely and got new bling for the bike. We had a few days in 2020 that went OK but it was pretty much just me getting back in shape and Learning to go fast again. Winter of 2020 brought more go fast goodies for the 54, plus since I knew I would be tearing down the 54 soon I picked up another track steed, a 2011 1krr. Came with the full Yoshimura system, i put the ohlins on it and had the wheels already. She will get turned into a full track bike after the 54 build is done. Obviously we are mid season in our track season and things are going great. Here are some pics from the last year +.......

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Wow. Glad you are still with us. Easy to be wise after the event, but sometimes it's worth asking yourself what your goals are and why. It's so easy to get on a slippery slope where no prizes are given, only punishments. No doubt your perspective has changed, care to share?
From my own perspective I realised that I was getting further and further into the grey zone on trackdays, and had a couple of moments which woke me up. One of which was a highside which all but spat me off the bike at 130mph+, fortunately I was able to climb back into the saddle . I did more trackdays after that and did the same laptimes but I had definitely less willingness to repeat the experience.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Wow. Glad you are still with us. Easy to be wise after the event, but sometimes it's worth asking yourself what your goals are and why. It's so easy to get on a slippery slope where no prizes are given, only punishments. No doubt your perspective has changed, care to share?
From my own perspective I realised that I was getting further and further into the grey zone on trackdays, and had a couple of moments which woke me up. One of which was a highside which all but spat me off the bike at 130mph+, fortunately I was able to climb back into the saddle . I did more trackdays after that and did the same laptimes but I had definitely less willingness to repeat the experience.
Alot of people around me that don't ride have asked me why I choose to get back on a bike, and I simply reply..... you don't ride so you wouldn't understand!

As far as the crash, we aren't exactly 100% sure why I crashed as know one was directly around me. I rode off the end of the straight away (usually doing 160+ when coming into the braking zone for turn one), not the smoothest runoff, about 100ft in i lost it and the bike plowed me into the ground, Blunt force impact. Apparently I was alert but not in good shape, Broke 12 ribs, collarbone, shoulder blade, dual punctured lungs, concussion. I got airlifted, came down with pneumonia real bad while in the hospital (common with lung punctures). supposedly it was touch and go for a few days, lungs weren't doing well. Of course I don't remember any of this as they knocked me out before putting me in the heli. Nor do I remember the accident. I recall a few things that happened that morning and then nothing.

Back on the topic of why I crashed..... I have some theories, none of which lead me to rider error and here's why.... not my bike so not pushing anywhere near my top abilities. last session of the day so I already know I'm tired and again not pushing it. The checkered flag had just waved to end the session so I always just take it easy on that last lap...
Again not pushing it. The 3 theories I came up with with the story's from those around me..... I had a mechanical of some sort, another rider entered the track and cut me off, or I had a medical and just blacked out. But again, we will never know forsure.

With all this said. I choose to get back on the bike because..... well that's my life, I've always been a rider. I've fallen down before (although not this bad) and you just get back on the bike and go again. I wanna call it quits on my own terms, not because I had some freak accident. Was it hard on my family, my son, absolutely. But I don't wanna be that shitty example of not getting back on the horse. I want my son to see its ok to fall down and get hurt, but that doesn't mean you stop doing somthing you love.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Alot of people around me that don't ride have asked me why I choose to get back on a bike, and I simply reply..... you don't ride so you wouldn't understand!

As far as the crash, we aren't exactly 100% sure why I crashed as know one was directly around me. I rode off the end of the straight away (usually doing 160+ when coming into the braking zone for turn one), not the smoothest runoff, about 100ft in i lost it and the bike plowed me into the ground, Blunt force impact. Apparently I was alert but not in good shape, Broke 12 ribs, collarbone, shoulder blade, dual punctured lungs, concussion. I got airlifted, came down with pneumonia real bad while in the hospital (common with lung punctures). supposedly it was touch and go for a few days, lungs weren't doing well. Of course I don't remember any of this as they knocked me out before putting me in the heli. Nor do I remember the accident. I recall a few things that happened that morning and then nothing.

Back on the topic of why I crashed..... I have some theories, none of which lead me to rider error and here's why.... not my bike so not pushing anywhere near my top abilities. last session of the day so I already know I'm tired and again not pushing it. The checkered flag had just waved to end the session so I always just take it easy on that last lap...
Again not pushing it. The 3 theories I came up with with the story's from those around me..... I had a mechanical of some sort, another rider entered the track and cut me off, or I had a medical and just blacked out. But again, we will never know forsure.

With all this said. I choose to get back on the bike because..... well that's my life, I've always been a rider. I've fallen down before (although not this bad) and you just get back on the bike and go again. I wanna call it quits on my own terms, not because I had some freak accident. Was it hard on my family, my son, absolutely. But I don't wanna be that shitty example of not getting back on the horse. I want my son to see its ok to fall down and get hurt, but that doesn't mean you stop doing somthing you love.
Respect.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts