Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 99 fireblade, in neutral there is a rattle noise coming from transmission, it doesn’t go away when you have the clutch in, but the noise goes away in first and second, in 3rd gear the noise becomes very loud and you can hear it from over 200 feet away. It’s got 20,000 on it new clutch plates and friction plates and springs.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,308 Posts
You’re talking about 2 different issues that probably aren’t related. It may be time to split the cases and see what’s going on with the clutch AND transmission.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’re talking about 2 different issues that probably aren’t related. It may be time to split the cases and see what’s going on with the clutch AND transmission.
I’ve somewhat figured out the tuning with needle adjustment it runs well in all ranges, just drinks a lot. Third gear makes sound as if not put into gear all the way, you can tell the difference if you wuss shift it and when you don’t. it’s loud on engine braking and low range but when you accelerate it mostly goes away. Otherwise it shifts fine. Just can’t depict if it’s just natural transmission noise or not. New to all things bikes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve somewhat figured out the tuning with needle adjustment it runs well in all ranges, just drinks a lot. Third gear makes sound as if not put into gear all the way, you can tell the difference if you wuss shift it and when you don’t. it’s loud on engine braking and low range but when you accelerate it mostly goes away. Otherwise it shifts fine. Just can’t depict if it’s just natural transmission noise or not. New to all things bikes.
ive done the basic inspection of the basket and hub, locknut spec and sprocket, chain tension and clutch adjustment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m splitting the case right now, anything you know I should know?

·
8,308 Posts
It’s pretty straight forward. A manual with torque specs would be helpful if you can find one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s pretty straight forward. A manual with torque specs would be helpful if you can find one.
Already got one, just as expected third gear missing a tooth, left shift fork has significant wear, but everything else in the bottom is looking really good. Do you think it is necessary to go through both shafts and inspect?

·
8,308 Posts
I would if you have it apart already. Look for wear on the dogs of the gears. I would probably send them out to get undercut as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would if you have it apart already. Look for wear on the dogs of the gears. I would probably send them out to get undercut as well.
The dogs look good. See this is my first bike, and I’m trying to keep it cheap. It’s never had any other sort of shifting problems or popping out in heavy load.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need to get acquainted with the characteristics of the torque
Well I’ve already split the case after finding a tooth in my oil pan, the characteristics were on engine braking the sound was there and loud, matching the engine to the rear wheel the sound was quieter, and under hard acceleration in the powerband it wasn’t really noticeable. Definitely very loud it was louder than the exhaust. The bike never felt like it was skipping or slipping and felt it had confident power to the rear wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m just getting to putting it all back together, I can’t get the countershaft needle bearing housing to line up with the dowel… any help?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts