Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy super bowl Sunday, OK I have a 2003 CBR954RR and it was running sweet until I serviced it today and I started getting a consistent knock from the left rear gear box area is where I tracked it down to. Never heard it before, it only happens at idle in neutral and is not there at any other RPM that I can hear. It is not super loud but when you ride a lot you know your bike. It will idle a little rough when its doing the knock. the top/front end of the motor sounds solid and it runs strong when riding it. any ides or why this would start right after an oil change. Please hit me back with any ideas???

Thanks folks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Happy super bowl Sunday, OK I have a 2003 CBR954RR and it was running sweet until I serviced it today and I started getting a consistent knock from the left rear gear box area is where I tracked it down to. Never heard it before, it only happens at idle in neutral and is not there at any other RPM that I can hear. It is not super loud but when you ride a lot you know your bike. It will idle a little rough when its doing the knock. the top/front end of the motor sounds solid and it runs strong when riding it. any ides or why this would start right after an oil change. Please hit me back with any ideas???

Thanks folks
G'day mate,

Did you put the same type of oil back in? Or at least the recommended type of oil? Did you change the filter along with the oil?

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,

I was just out hitting it with my stethoscope and I hear it the most at the rear top side of the gear box, the right side clutch cover area sounds good. I heard it some a little further forward towards the front of the gear box as well. It doesn't do it until its warm and only at idle in that area. I ran a fully synthetic 10W30-40 mix. Any other ideas?? I have had a lot of KTM 450sx dirt bikes and I know the sound of the clutch basket chatter but this is a different sound and on the wrong side of the motor. Thanks for the support!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
So the moment you pull the clutch in and knock it into gear the sound stops completely?

Is the tapping rhythmic or seemingly randomly timed?

My first guess would be a lack of smiley stuff. How much oil did you put in? Any chance you forgot to plug the sump bolt back in when you were filling her up? :O

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
or the exhaust valve thingy chattering, the one I used to own did (and it probably still does). Another thing is, does it go away if you pull the clutch in? they are noisy sometimes.

If you've filled the oil properly then whatever make of oil (correct grade of course) is not going to make it knock at idle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also have this knocking after an oil+filter change. Guys told me its to do with the oil pump and the pumping through the channels, and perhaps an air bubble in the wrong place that needs to be worked out. After a few starts and rides, it did go away. Was also just there on a cold engine, never when it was warm. So I thought they Speaketh Truth and dont worry about it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My 954 makes all sorts of noises when cold. Things get much better when it warms up but I can still hear little tick & knocks coming from around the bottom end of the engine. The thing still pulls hard as you like & doesnt blow up.

I have had a CBR250RR & CBR600FS before this bike & have screwed the 2 of them to death - living on the redline. Neither ever had any engine problems.

Have faith in the Big H.

·
Registered
90 Posts
mine makes a sound like that, I was worried but it turns out it's just the exhaust valve. Once my bike gets warm it quites way down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey guys thanks for all your help, I put new NGK iridiums in and dropped the oil level down just a little (was a hair overfilled), cleaned the throttle bodies, adjusted the idle and prayed over it!! Took it for a ride and it is idling a lot better and the knock has quieted down quite a bit, I now think its the clutch basket cause it is not constant and sounds similar to my KTM450SX clutch. If you didn't ride it all the time you wouldn't hear it or feel it but when you know your bike you stress over all the little bumps it makes. revs perfect, doesn't miss a beat, will throw you off the back and doesn't hesitate at all so I would think if it were a rod knock it would be worse, constant and would get louder at higher rpms not just at idle. I can live with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh excuse me!, the throttle bodies, velocity stacks and airbox were cleaned, I have a bad habit of calling them carbs. Cheers Machinehead

1 - 19 of 19 Posts