Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my new Blade out for her first run today and it was flippin' brilliant.. I'm in love :inlove:

Apart from one tiny little thing..

There I was on my brand new (to me) bike and I had to pull up to a stop at some lights. Unfortunately the road was sloping down towards the kerb and there I was foot flailing in the air trying to find the ground before I fell over :crap:

This photo shows how much of my foot touches the ground Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Auto part

I got home just fine, riding her isn't the problem (she's just wicked :D) it's me feeling a little safer when I stop and put a foot down..

Sideshow Bob still had the original seat off Roadkill, so pretty much as soon as I got home I was set up indoors with the sharpest kitchen knives I could find..

The cover was off in minutes and I marked up the area of foam I wanted to remove..

Food Ingredient Dish Cuisine Gruyère cheese

I then started slicing the foam off carefully, trying to make it as even as possible..

Food Cheese Processed cheese Gruyère cheese Ingredient
Food Cheese Ingredient Dairy Cuisine

Once the basics were done..

Food Cheese Pecorino romano Ingredient Dairy

It was just a question of neatening things up a little until this was the end result.. I tried to keep the shape of the original seat as much as possible and considering this is the first time I've ever done this I'm pretty pleased with the result :D

Fender Auto part
Furniture

This is the original seat height on my bike.. Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Motorcycle fairing

and this is the seat now.. Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Motorcycle

And this last photo shows how much more of my foot I can get on the ground :thumb: Footwear Boot Riding boot Shoe Synthetic rubber

The seat is now in the airing cupboard drying out properly as SSB left it out in the rain and the foam is a bit damp.. Once it's properly dry I'll pop the cover back on it, re-staple it on and then try her out on the road again..

I will admit I felt much happier even just sitting on her round by the garage when I was able to get more foot on the ground.. It may well be that later once I'm properly used to her it won't bother me at all, but at the moment it does and I'd only worry about it while I was riding her..

·
Registered
931 Posts
Its probably a bit more engineering than you want to do, but, a Y2K seat unit is much narrower at the front and allows more room to get your feet down.
It means a new rider seat, plastics and light lens, but is an easy, if time consuming job to do. (Makes the podgy back end look much more svelte though).

·
Registered
582 Posts
You got me going loopy, i got a corbin rear seat some time ago but it must have been for a different model and didnt fit my bike. Last night we stripped the corbin by drilling the rivets out the cut the foam off. Then pulled the stock seat apart stripped the foam off, then spray glued the corbin foam on and re riveted ! Looked good and all ready for the wife at the weekend.

Thanks for the inspiration...

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:D Thanks guys... It was really easy to do and only took about half an hour..

I loved riding her :D:D She's a whole different beast than my 400 (obviously!!) but feels beautifully balanced even when I was doing slow speeds in town.. I did a perfect hill start on her and can crawl along at walking pace easily using the clutch just like I can on my 400 :thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
thanks for that blade*:rolleyes:
Loopy does her first Mod and you suggest her second involves surgery**:eek:

*remind me to rep you
**posibly butchery

:crap:
:)
Makes sense to me.
If you're arse doesn't fit the bike, change your arse. Then you'll fit all bikes instead of having to change all the seats :)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
It is nice to see somebody lower themselves on the bike instead of lowering the bike to the ground. My guess is that you would eventually have learned to adjust to the higher seat, but if you feel more confident with a lower one, then well worth the effort.

With the lower seat, how does your riding position feel?

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is nice to see somebody lower themselves on the bike instead of lowering the bike to the ground.
Thanks ghbzorro.. I know you can't slim down the seats on some bikes as the seat pad is too thin or built weirdly, like the one on my 400, but I really can't see the point in lowering a bike if the foam can be reshaped or the rider can buy boots which will raise them up a bit.. I personally feel lowering bikes must affect the handling, they are designed the way they are for a reason, plus unless you are able to put it back to stock I'm sure it affects the resale values..

My guess is that you would eventually have learned to adjust to the higher seat, but if you feel more confident with a lower one, then well worth the effort.
I reckon the same but even on my short ride last weekend I was worrying about stopping and missing the ground and falling over.. I still have the stock seat off the bike as I nicked to surplus one from SSB's fighter project to cut down, so I could always try the stock seat later on once I'm used to the bike to see how I get on, plus it means I'll have a stock seat to put back on if it's ever sold, not that thats likely to happen..
With the lower seat, how does your riding position feel?
:O I don't know yet.. The original cover wouldn't go on properly/neatly with the reshaped foam and today is the first chance I've had to get into town to buy some vinyl to recover it with.. I'm putting that on at the moment :thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its probably a bit more engineering than you want to do, but, a Y2K seat unit is much narrower at the front and allows more room to get your feet down.
It means a new rider seat, plastics and light lens, but is an easy, if time consuming job to do. (Makes the podgy back end look much more svelte though).
Thanks for the thought jdugen but I like her podgy back end :rotfl::rotfl:

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
Thats a smart move to trim a seat, rather than lower the bike through changing the suspension. Snake skin, Sheep skin, Cow hide, and in a color of your preference.:)
No Butt removal recommended. Probably cause more problems with infection, as most of the items of sharpness/bluntness, are rusty in that general area.

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The final photos :D

The original cover wouldn't fit back on the seat properly due to the shaping so I popped into town on Saturday and bought myself a length of vinyl fabric.. It cost me £7.. That and the staple gun we already had meant I was all ready to go :thumb:

It was a bit fiddly fitting the vinyl to the seat, as it's quite stiff to start with, and I wanted the seat to be as smooth as possible with no 'crinkles' of fabric round the edges. I decided to fit the fabric on the bias as the vinyl would be more stretchy doing it that way and hopefully it would go round the new curves of the seat better.

Once I started working the vinyl it did start to give nicely and taking my time and replacing staples as necessary to tighten the cover up it was done..

This is the end result..

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive exterior Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle White

All in all I'm very happy with the end result.. It cost me the spare seat* we already had and £7 for the fabric plus a bit of my time and I can pretty much flat foot on the bike now :thumb:

* I checked ebay and if needed I could have bought a seat for about £15 - £25 if I had needed one

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.