Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone...
I have been really motivated about learning to weld, and i really like to fabricate things. So for a project i decided to make a rear stand because its a great tool to have, and extremely useful. Originally my buddy had a stand that i was thinking about buying one online but i said hell with it, since i have some materials and one of the best tig machines at my disposal at work, ill make one. Plus i didnt feel like spending the money because I have been laying out money for the 929/954 swap.
well here is a pic. because it seems i already uploaded some other but i cant do anymore.... could someone explain why??:huh:
well enhoy this pic....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Looks pretty good. I finished two welding classes heading towards my certification (7 more to go) prior to being "employed for the summer". I was supposed to take my first of 3 TiG classes this summer but looks like I'll have to wait until fall.

PM davef for powdercoating. He's done a bunch of stuff for guys on this site. He should be on his way back from Grattan tomorrow so it'll probably be a day or two before he responds.

Cough up $15 :)sheepsex:)to become a supporting member and you'll be able to upload as many pics as you please.

PS Just kidding Conq, it was the best $20 I've ever spent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,
Just got a 1998 CBR900. Haven't even ridden it yet (snow). I made a paddock stand for it yesterday and wanted to share the results. I used 1" 316 stainless steel sched 40 pipe since it is so easy to weld and polishes up nicely. I got a shop to bend the hoop (swapped a 6-pack). They could only do a 12" bend radius so I used a hydraulic car jack to bend the ends outward to the 13.5" spacing. Wheels are off some old rollerblades. I may modify it later if I add spools to the swingarm. I have attached a pic and pdf drawing I made for anyone who might need a winter project. I can post pics and details of the construction if anyone wants. Took about 4 hours total. Enjoy. Cam.

ps. going to build a front stand next

Attachments

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Sweet, KXCam!

You guys have been repped!:thumb:

·
Banned
4,696 Posts
my father in law has a pipe bender and i was a nuclear welder, so it looks like i got me a project to work on now that i have some dementions. i might make some mods.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
looking good. :thumb:

Can you now make a front one for a yamaha? :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick26
Mod away! I still may have to add a top gusset if it shows signs of bending. I added the bottom gusset on the short section by the wheels since it started to bend there a bit. The pipe is unbelieveably strong yet the weight of the bike combined with the torque of pushing down on the handle was too much at that extreme angle. I was suprised since my calcs said it would be ok. Mounting the hoop lower and angling the main supports back a bit might be better. The 13 degree back angle is just about right - nice and stable. Once I design the front stand it should be easy to mod it for a yamaha. The steering stem pin will be different and maybe the height a bit but the rest should work. Cam.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cough up $15 :)sheepsex:)to become a supporting member and you'll be able to upload as many pics as you please.
Well for a few reasons, this being one of them i decided to try to build my own website. Here are more picks of the rear stand build.
Fabricated Rear Stand
Since i have so many projects going on at once, I am constantly trying to update the site when time permits...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All,
Just got a 1998 CBR900. Haven't even ridden it yet (snow). I made a paddock stand for it yesterday and wanted to share the results. I used 1" 316 stainless steel sched 40 pipe since it is so easy to weld and polishes up nicely. I got a shop to bend the hoop (swapped a 6-pack). They could only do a 12" bend radius so I used a hydraulic car jack to bend the ends outward to the 13.5" spacing. Wheels are off some old rollerblades. I may modify it later if I add spools to the swingarm. I have attached a pic and pdf drawing I made for anyone who might need a winter project. I can post pics and details of the construction if anyone wants. Took about 4 hours total. Enjoy. Cam.

ps. going to build a front stand next
Very nice, came out good....:thumb:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick26
Mod away! I still may have to add a top gusset if it shows signs of bending. I added the bottom gusset on the short section by the wheels since it started to bend there a bit. The pipe is unbelieveably strong yet the weight of the bike combined with the torque of pushing down on the handle was too much at that extreme angle. I was suprised since my calcs said it would be ok. Mounting the hoop lower and angling the main supports back a bit might be better. The 13 degree back angle is just about right - nice and stable. Once I design the front stand it should be easy to mod it for a yamaha. The steering stem pin will be different and maybe the height a bit but the rest should work. Cam.
hmmm. I am suprised schedule 40 pipe is bending? I just used EMT( whatever i could of found at my job), cant remember if its 1 1/4 or 1 1/2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was also suprised that it bent. Sure works well though. I doubt that it distorted from welding but I can't remember if I checked the angles afterwards, so it is possible. I think I will up the pipe size to 1.5" 316SS (got lots at work) for the front stand. Should be able to start designing that next week. I will post a dwg when I get it built. Cam.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fabrication sure is a lot of fun. I have a pit bull front stand that picks up from the forks, so if you need any pics or measurements let me know....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mustangous,
That would be great! You're right fabing is fun. What is the angle of the support pin to the support arm. I calc 110 degrees with the support arm horizontal when the bike is on the stand. Am I close? I am about 90% designed. I weld outside so it is a bit cold right now. Thanks. Cam.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great work guys!!! And extra kudos to Mustangous from a fellow Fox-body Stang owner. I have an '89 5.0GT that's my pride and joy, though she's terribly neglected due to the bikes. :eyebrows:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts