Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After this thread http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/79319-oversize-main-big-end-bearing-journals.html

I was finally able to identify and source the bearings that were put in on this reground crank.

I want to verify these via plastigauge before I feel fully confident this has been done within specs, Tho if its out of spec range I am buggered if I know what bearings I would be able to use, best not think about that for now.

So I think what I need to know is

1) torque specs for mains and conrods
2) acceptable clearance ranges for mains and conrods.

This is on a 95 SC28 893cc blade if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
If you have no luck I'll go to the library and photograph the pages from the Haynes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I saw them on here before (being .020 - .040 on conrods and slightly larger on mains) but damned if I can find them searching.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I thought I saw them on here before (being .020 - .040 on conrods and slightly larger on mains) but damned if I can find them searching.
I think specs for the 918 were posted in the other thread but I don't think I've seen 893 specs. Quite likely the same but it'd be better to confirm.
Bearing clearances are based on their diameter and the expansion of the materials of the cases, rods and bearings. Since bike cases are invariably aluminium and the rods and crank are steel, with journals that fall within a fairly limited size range there's not usually a huge variation in clearance specs.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'll try and find my dang manual somewhere. I know my rods plastigauged between .0015 and .0017 and they were in spec.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Okay found it (it was in trailer with bike, imagine that:rolleyes: ) Rod bearing oil clearance is .0012-.0020 Main bearing oil clearance is .0007-.0014 That's in inches. Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts