Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have A 01' CBR929RR that won't start with a new fully charged batter! I have replaced the battery and the R/R... I thought the R/R was the issue because the connection from the R/R to the wire harness was melted... I can push start the bike and it will run forever... When I put the fully charged battery in it sounds like it wants to charge but doesn't have enough power... The battery reads 12.64V.. The starter turns the first time I press the start button but the second time I just get a clicking noise from the relay! I don't want to bring the bike to a shop but I'm lost!.... Please help!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Ok, I have A 01' CBR929RR that won't start with a new fully charged batter! I have replaced the battery and the R/R... I thought the R/R was the issue because the connection from the R/R to the wire harness was melted... I can push start the bike and it will run forever... When I put the fully charged battery in it sounds like it wants to charge but doesn't have enough power... The battery reads 12.64V.. The starter turns the first time I press the start button but the second time I just get a clicking noise from the relay! I don't want to bring the bike to a shop but I'm lost!.... Please help!

Try boosting the battery off a car battery with jumper cables.
Check the wire from the starter solenoid to the starter motor is clean and tight at both ends.

·
Registered
138 Posts
maybe the starter is bad, if all else fails take the starter out and hook it up to a 12v and see if it turn over, the bushes maybe bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, so all wires look clean and are tight on the starter and the relay. I jumped the bike with a car battery and it fired right up!... What does that mean? I also noticed with the volt meter that when the bike is switched to on the battery volts begin to drop dramatically...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ok, so all wires look clean and are tight on the starter and the relay. I jumped the bike with a car battery and it fired right up!... What does that mean? I also noticed with the volt meter that when the bike is switched to on the battery volts begin to drop dramatically...
If you jumped the bike by connecting the jumper leads to your battery then it apperas that the connections to the solenoid and then the starter motor are good and also the solenoid is good. It does sound to me like the battery doesn't have the charge to turn it over. Did you say the battery was brand new?

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you jumped the bike by connecting the jumper leads to your battery then it apperas that the connections to the solenoid and then the starter motor are good and also the solenoid is good. It does sound to me like the battery doesn't have the charge to turn it over. Did you say the battery was brand new?

Cheers
Simon
sounds like a dead cell in your batt. it holds a good surface charge .... but drops under a load test

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the battery is bran new... The battery reads 12.64V.... One the bike us switched to the on position the volts begin to drop dramatically.... what could cause this?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes the battery is bran new... The battery reads 12.64V.... One the bike us switched to the on position the volts begin to drop dramatically.... what could cause this?
either a shorted cell in the batt. (this can still give a 12 - 13 volt reading,but if you have a bad cell under a load test it will drop way down ) i have had new batteries test bad .... so it started this problem with another batt. in it ,,,, & you put in a new one & the same thing ..... you might have a shorted wire in the ignition system ...has anything happened to the bike?

·
Registered
191 Posts
you said you found a burnt wire .... follow this harness out looking for bad wires ....i have a feeling your backfeeding power somewhere ...it could be in a lot of places ...sometimes a disconnected engine or frame groung can cause feed back .... you just have to dive in & find it peel open harnesses ...check every plug connector ... put them back together with a dielectric compound (available at any autoparts store ) get some elecrical tape too .if your lucky you will find it on your own ....good luck...if you find something suspicious take a pic ..& post it

·
Registered
191 Posts
if there is a weak connection , it will ark between the plug & reciever ,0r wire and harness or but end connector ,this causes heat build up the more current the hotter it will get..hope i help you with your problem

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its not the same brand but same battery... YTZ10S.. I wouldn't think they would have different cranking amps..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts