Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 02 954 (mint) in silver and black. I'm an accel junky and need to drain the lizard. Problem is the old lady is always thinking 'self inflicted destruction', so has to be incognito. My current accel mods are, 2 bro's bolt on exhaust, PC (old) with a 2 bro's map. Love the current power but as everyone should want, I need some more. Have the cash for mods but the old lady is pissed that im even thinking of more. Apart from raising the intake charge psi, looking for the best 'bang for buck' for more power. Need some advice... should i go injectors, cam/valves, bottom end (stroke, bore), aspiration etc. Just cant slap on some flashy turbo or nos can, or the wife will have my balls (and she already does but that's a conversation in its own). I can get away with "Ohh it broke and I need a rebuild" or something similar... Need advice from the pro's.

"Drive it like its stolen!"

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
A slip-on exhaust gives you nothing but noise. If you want quicker acceleration cheap, get a 15T front sprocket and 520 chain conversion and hit the gym. Weight loss is the cheapest way to increase your power / weight ratio. You can also get some magnesium wheels to reduce unsprung weight.

·
Registered
206 Posts
In what would be a welcome improvement for the purchaser who aims to own the bike for the really long-term is the fact that the bigger pistons slide up and down in new cylinder sleeves pressure formed from sintered aluminium powder. The bonus comes down the track, in later years, these new sleeves can be re-bored, to a maximum of 0.25mm oversize, this is becoming increasingly rare these days. Honda also say the material that makes up these new sleeves provides better wear resistance and heat dissipation, I have no science degree so will simply take their word for it. I guess a lot of racers will immediately be doing that overbore to get them from 954 to 960cc as for them every little bit counts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In what would be a welcome improvement for the purchaser who aims to own the bike for the really long-term is the fact that the bigger pistons slide up and down in new cylinder sleeves pressure formed from sintered aluminium powder. The bonus comes down the track, in later years, these new sleeves can be re-bored, to a maximum of 0.25mm oversize, this is becoming increasingly rare these days. Honda also say the material that makes up these new sleeves provides better wear resistance and heat dissipation, I have no science degree so will simply take their word for it. I guess a lot of racers will immediately be doing that overbore to get them from 954 to 960cc as for them every little bit counts.
So your saying sleeve the cylinders and go over bore pistons (over bore for power/compression ratio and sleeves for longevity)? So saying I sleeved the cylndr's and ran up to a .25mm overbore (without a top end mod), what can I expect to gain (modestly)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have the exhaust (full bolt on 2 bro's manifold and pipe), flapper mod is modest at best (easily just clamped, I saw little performance increase from this), and have the best map I can find for my exhaust (beyond a tuning shop). Looking hardware here. Cam, stoke, pistons, valving etc...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im curious about head porting. Anyone with any real world data on this? Have the ability, worried about materiel depth. Hard to find any figures about how much you can remove and retain flow/thermal efficiency. Any insight into porting/polishing?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
What I got from the little bit you posted Midwest, was that it was the new motor. AKA the 954?

As for porting and polishing, You would do best to find someone who is knowledgeable in the feild and having them do it. It is best to have a flow bench for such a thing as well.

An Magnesium wheels, as great as they are. I dont think you want to go out and spend more then the bike is worth. Looking at wheels for my bike, its something like $5000.. Thats almost as much as I paid for the bike brand new.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Got an 02 954 (mint) in silver and black. I'm an accel junky and need to drain the lizard. Problem is the old lady is always thinking 'self inflicted destruction', so has to be incognito. My current accel mods are, 2 bro's bolt on exhaust, PC (old) with a 2 bro's map. Love the current power but as everyone should want, I need some more. Have the cash for mods but the old lady is pissed that im even thinking of more. Apart from raising the intake charge psi, looking for the best 'bang for buck' for more power. Need some advice... should i go injectors, cam/valves, bottom end (stroke, bore), aspiration etc. Just cant slap on some flashy turbo or nos can, or the wife will have my balls (and she already does but that's a conversation in its own). I can get away with "Ohh it broke and I need a rebuild" or something similar... Need advice from the pro's.

"Drive it like its stolen!"
Buy a Vespa:idunno:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Any idea as to the cost of sleeves and over-sized juggs?

You can't buy over-size cylinders as they are integral with the cases.
Cost for boring, plating and the piston kit runs around US$1350 last time I priced it.
Contact US Chrome.
You can bore 1mm with no problems.

EDIT: That's $1350 _plus_ the cost of stripping and rebuilding the engine.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
buy a hayabusa :eyebrows:

Awesome bike, until you come to the fun roads. Then any of the 600's will eat it alive.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
oh ok. I always considered bolt on/slip on to be the same. I would still suggest the flapper mod and a custom map

Bolt-on/slip-on are the same. They just describe two different methods of muffler fitting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts