Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 2 different Honda's I am making the switch this year and buying a 2004 Yamaha R1, I was very disappointed in Honda's CBR 1000rr in the looks category .  My girlfriend has a 2003 CBR 600rr and after looking at the 2 I think Honda actually took a step backwards in terms of looks with the 1000rr.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Zeus954 : Well after 2 different Honda's I am making the switch this year and buying a 2004 Yamaha R1, I was very disappointed in Honda's CBR 1000rr in the looks category .  My girlfriend has a 2003 CBR 600rr and after looking at the 2 I think Honda actually took a step backwards in terms of looks with the 1000rr.
like your avator, Zeus...pretty cool....

anyways, I hope you have your flamesuit on b/c you don't know what you've just started....  

personally, and this is coming from a guy that owns a '00 R6, I like the looks of the Honda better than the R1 right now...but hey, that's just me...to each his own...I hope you're happy with your decision...I'm sure the Yamaha is going to be a great bike to have...don't get caught up in all the hype and drama going on here about Honda vs. Yamaha...both companies make great bikes...it's your money, spend it as you see fit...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nothing wrong with basing your purchase choice on aesthetics, especially when you're choosing among bikes that are already better than we are and can't be ridden to max potential on the street (where we ride 95% of our time) and will be improved over last year's offerings.

He's likely a street rider, who may or may not do track days. Are his skills such that he'll be using the maximum potential of the bike on his way to work, or on his favorite twisties? If he is, then he's riding too fast on the street, and all of you will be tapping away on the keyboard to let him know it.

If he does track days, then what will he get from the 'superior' performing bike in the class for a day? He's probably not going to be 'discovered' by Gary Mathers, or Mel Harris, now, is he? And I'm sure he doesn't want to toss his 2004 wonderbike bike into the runoff of the track because of some faux GP antics, so he'll probably be riding the bike at a level where it wouldn't matter which of the new liter bikes he's on.

And if that is the case, then what's wrong with basing your choice on which one looks best to you? When one bike has only a slight performance advantage over the other, aesthetics can be a clear 'performance' advantage in a rider's eyes.

Going by some of the posts I've seen in this thread, I'm lead to believe that there are some here who are extremely concerned about the numbers associated to a bike - weight, horsepower, torque, etc., when that rider may not be any more likely to take advantage of what those numbers may offer in the way of lap times at a track. And if that's the case, then who's really the poser, the guy who buys based on what looks good to him because they all offer more performance than he can use, or the guy who buys a bike because it's 8 lbs. lighter and makes 3 more h.p. at 11,000 rpm and won't ever ride the bike to a level where it's noticeable?

Okay, bring it, you know you want a piece of this

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm gonna vote an entirely different direction and go with the new ZX10R, Cause it's green...

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Good points latebraking. But I'm still interested in how the thing handles, whether the FI system is well sorted, etc. Yes, all the bikes are more than most of us need (self included) but I'm sure going to look at those things when making a buying decision. For others, looks are more important. Nothing wrong with that either. Like I said, to each his own...

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Zeus954 : Well after 2 different Honda's I am making the switch this year and buying a 2004 Yamaha R1, I was very disappointed in Honda's CBR 1000rr in the looks category .  My girlfriend has a 2003 CBR 600rr and after looking at the 2 I think Honda actually took a step backwards in terms of looks with the 1000rr.
This 'girlfriend' better maintain her beauty regimen.....

·
Registered
887 Posts
Latebraking : Nothing wrong with basing your purchase choice on aesthetics, especially when you're choosing among bikes that are already better than we are and can't be ridden to max potential on the street (where we ride 95% of our time) and will be improved over last year's offerings.

He's likely a street rider, who may or may not do track days. Are his skills such that he'll be using the maximum potential of the bike on his way to work, or on his favorite twisties? If he is, then he's riding too fast on the street, and all of you will be tapping away on the keyboard to let him know it.

If he does track days, then what will he get from the 'superior' performing bike in the class for a day? He's probably not going to be 'discovered' by Gary Mathers, or Mel Harris, now, is he? And I'm sure he doesn't want to toss his 2004 wonderbike bike into the runoff of the track because of some faux GP antics, so he'll probably be riding the bike at a level where it wouldn't matter which of the new liter bikes he's on.

And if that is the case, then what's wrong with basing your choice on which one looks best to you? When one bike has only a slight performance advantage over the other, aesthetics can be a clear 'performance' advantage in a rider's eyes.

Going by some of the posts I've seen in this thread, I'm lead to believe that there are some here who are extremely concerned about the numbers associated to a bike - weight, horsepower, torque, etc., when that rider may not be any more likely to take advantage of what those numbers may offer in the way of lap times at a track. And if that's the case, then who's really the poser, the guy who buys based on what looks good to him because they all offer more performance than he can use, or the guy who buys a bike because it's 8 lbs. lighter and makes 3 more h.p. at 11,000 rpm and won't ever ride the bike to a level where it's noticeable?

Okay, bring it, you know you want a piece of this    
very well said.....I agree 100%.....

·
Registered
595 Posts
Good post Latebraking!  

I agree with you on your points. How many times at this very site have we heard members mock the GSXR types that just HAVE TO  have the most powerful bike on the planet, even if they couldn't  ride the thing faster than an eight year old can ride an American Flyer.

We all acknowledge that every literbike out there is more than we could ever really use on the street, so it makes sense to go with the bike that does it for you looks-wise, if you don't have any other more pressing concerns(reliability, ergos, etc... comes to mind).

I'm a Honda guy, but that would not stop me from buying a bike that really did it for me. To each his own.  The only thing that will bother me, is if the new 1000 comes nowhere near the performance expectations that HONDA gave its customers about the bike. I think the bike will kick some serious ass, but we will just have to see. The people that are deciding right now which new 1000 they will buy based on unsubstantiated numbers are not thinking clearly. Not if you are basing your decision on performance only. Only time will tell that story.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I really don't think that anyone can dispute what Latebraking has offered up. Excellent post, IMO.

And after having seen the new 1000 in person, I can totally understand Zeus' point of view. Like the 999, it looks worse in person than it does in pictures, IMO.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts