Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've become something of a reformed smoker as it relates to wearing ear plugs while riding my motorcycle. After looking into the subject a little more deeply, I'm certain I've done some damage to my hearing.

I do not plan on losing any more of my ears' capabilities.

Please take time to peruse the following links. Mandatory reading IMO. Seriously, this is virtually as important an issue as helmet use - I will never ride my bike without plugs again.

http://freehearingtest.com/hia_motorcyclefacts.shtml

http://www.isvr.co.uk/at_work/m_cycle.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/noise/

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Interesting linkks - I have been using ear plugs when riding for a while now, I know I have done 'some' damage, but my hearing is still pretty good, and I want to keep what I have

Z...

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Sorry Speak up I can't hear you

I have only worn earplugs on a couple of rides, but did notice a drop in a lot of noises, but have not done it regulary enough to form an opinion

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm bad and don't wear ear protection I have tried to on several occasions but ended up taking them out.

I already have ear damage. Every so often my ear(s) shuts off and I hear a high pitched ringing. (From my headbanger days) It has gotten better over the years since I quit listening to music so loud and not gone to any concerts.

I have to find plugs that don't drive me crazy.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, I think the little foam type is probably best. Dirt cheap, reusable (at least a few times), effective and should prove comfortable unless you've got a really narrow ear canal. Hrrmm, I'm SO tempted to make a comment about sticking my tongue in Alex's ear to help slippery things up, but that would be WAY out of line and I'm far too much of a gentleman to do that. (No ND4SPD, I'll not extend the same courtesy to you.)

<----Chain's childish tounge waggling

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Chain : Hrrmm, I'm SO tempted to make a comment about sticking my tongue in Alex's ear to help slippery things up, but that would be WAY out of line and I'm far too much of a gentleman to do that. (No ND4SPD, I'll not extend the same courtesy to you.)
Uhhhhh... I think you just did!  

And the worst part is that I was actualy able to feel it as I read it...  

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Alex, most earplugs bother me, but I found some that are the shiz.  Howard Leigh makes a fl orange plug called the Max that has a 33dB attenuation.  They are super comfortable, and work very well for just being 'cheapies'.  I even keep them with me if I think I might be staying in a noisy motel...

http://www.indogem.com/howardlt/dispos.htm

EDIT: Chain just cause you found Jesus, doesn't mean this a mandatory read!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : Quote (alexandra @ Aug. 11 2003, 7:47am)I have to find plugs that don't drive me crazy.
That's probably the hardest thing!  The plugs I have make my ears hurt after a while
The $40 I spent to have a doctor make me some custom fit plugs was some of the best money I've spent on MC gear.

I've worn them for as long as 16 hours in one day. No issues.

I already have terrible hearing loss issues and belive you me, although I can still *hear* the affect of partial hearing loss on everyday life is alarming.

I bump into people behind me quite often. Why, because I cannot *hear* them (this is something the brain registers in a subconsious fashion). Words.. some sounds an words are alsmot impossible for me to hear and I can't tell if I'm yelling or speaking normally, or mumbling because I'm awaid I'm speaking too loud. All reference is gone.

Protect your hearing folks. I'd be amazed at home much you rely upon it from non entertainment / communication in everyday life.

Thanks for the post Chain.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Chain : I've become something of a reformed smoker as it relates to wearing ear plugs while riding my motorcycle. After looking into the subject a little more deeply, I'm certain I've done some damage to my hearing.

yada yada yada
C'mon man, just because you finally learned something don't preach to the choir

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
alexandra : I'm bad and don't wear ear protection   I have tried to on several occasions but ended up taking them out.

I already have ear damage.  Every so often my ear(s) shuts off and I hear a high pitched ringing.  (From my headbanger days)    It has gotten better over the years since I quit listening to music so loud and not gone to any concerts.  

I have to find plugs that don't drive me crazy.
My ears ring 24/7 because of loud car-stereos and shooting guns without protection when I was younger. I wear plugs and muffs when I shoot how. I cringe when I see teenagers driving around thumping because they're going to be like me soon.

I've been wearing plugs for awhile. To me, it makes the ride much more enjoyable not to have to endure the wind-noise. Without plugs, I fatigue quickly and generally enjoy the ride less.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Glad to see the LIGHT is coming on to some of you. I have been commenting on ear plugs for ages.
They handed out good ones in a fabrication plant I worked in, but instead I used a set of superior ear muffs that I use to use at the gun range & went on to better ones. Have been wearing costly electronic muffs when h/gun shooting for some 10 yrs.
A 35mm plastic container will carry two sets of soft ear plugs so those are in one pocket of each m/c jacket I have & use. Also usually a set of unpackaged ones as well on an inside pocket.
Around town there is no need for ear plugs unless you personally have a loud exhaust system, but then most of my 57 yrs of riding have been with stock exhaust systems, bar competition & then it was what ever could offer the best of power.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Smitty : Glad to see the LIGHT is coming on to some of you.  I have been commenting on ear plugs for ages.
They handed out good ones in a fabrication plant I worked in, but instead I used a set of superior ear muffs that I use to use at the gun range & went on to better ones.  Have been wearing costly electronic muffs when h/gun shooting for some 10 yrs.
A 35mm plastic container will carry two sets of soft ear plugs so those are in one pocket of each m/c jacket I have & use.  Also usually a set of unpackaged ones as well on an inside pocket.
Around town there is no need for ear plugs unless you personally have a loud exhaust system, but then most of my 57 yrs of riding have been with stock exhaust systems, bar competition & then it was what ever could offer the best of power.
Great idea on the 35mm film containers Smitty. Thanks!

One comment though... according to the bulleted information at the bottom of the first link I provided in this thread, you DO need to wear hearing protection in town.

My new MO: If I leave the house on the bike, the foamies come with me or I drive my truck. City or highway, no matter.

And hey Booth ---->

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Yeah, I've been using earplugs on the bike for several years now. I've probably sustained some hearing loss over the years, although I haven't had it checked. I've also started wearing muffs whilst mowing the lawn. If I have to take them off for a second I can't stand how loud the mower is and it makes me wonder how I mowed all those years without them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts