Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I've only remember eating them once. I didn't like them. Bad batch maybe, but it only had texture of a shrimp, not much flavor. They're definitely popular as a delicacy for Chinese folks. :) The things sure look ugly-ass though.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Speaking of praying mantis, I was just up in my old department yesterday on the second floor of our building. One wall is entirely comprised of windows. Every summer, a huge praying mantis returns and just parks himself on those windows on the second floor. It's bizarre. He's not close to any kind of vegetation or (from what I can see) any food source. He's just sitting on a completely flat window on the second floor of the building. WTF?! :huh:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. "

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Been reading up a lot on these "cute" critters. Man, I gotta have one, preferrably a "smasher". :D Never kept a salt water tank before, but now I gotta! I just love the off-the-wall guys in nature. (And no, that statement has no connotation to "gay"). :hmm:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Those things are satan incarnated.

They often come in as "hitchhikers" on live rock, and they'll kill every fish in your tank if given the opportunity. I had to take a hammer and break a rock in half to get at one once that'd signed it's death warrant by killing a newly added young tang. Reefkeepers normally consider them a pest, again unless you have a species tank set up for them only. I have a friend with some great stories about hunting the 7 mantis shrimps that came in on his live rock.

If you decide you want one, get a sturdy little tank, and keep only the shrimp.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Yeah LTL, it would be only the mantis shrimp in an aquarium. I have no desire to keep fish, but I do love the "odd-balls" of nature. I've never even kept a fish tank before, let alone a salt water setup. :D Anyway, this would be down the road, after the move. Can you imagine what a 12 incher could do to an aquarium?! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Bacchus said:
Yeah LTL, it would be only the mantis shrimp in an aquarium. I have no desire to keep fish, but I do love the "odd-balls" of nature. I've never even kept a fish tank before, let alone a salt water setup. :D Anyway, this would be down the road, after the move. Can you imagine what a 12 incher could do to an aquarium?! :eek:
should probably post that same disclaimer as your post above...just a thought.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yep, the look pretty cool - I think I may have to have one. Prbably just a small one though, would make an interesting talking point when people visit... Just imagine all the "WTF is that?!" comments..

Z...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts