Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone answer this question:
I was on a trackday yesterday on my fireblade. Had michelin pilot power 2 ct on it.

The bank angle got so high that the bottom fairing got into contact with the ground. How can this be possible? I thought that the clearance was sufficient to avoid this. Any guesses? The pegs were into contact naturally.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
My bellypan also grinds on my racebike.
It's not due to the lean angle entirely. It's also dependent on how much the suspension is loaded up in the turn.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If its a bike that you plan on doing many track days on, I would suggest that you get your front and rear end set up according to your weight, from a suspension shop. The difference that will make will be priceless! My front forks and the rear shock were set up to my weight and since I had that done, I have continued to lower my personal best lap time. It is well worth the money to have this done...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Red rider. Are the Corsa's a track spec tire or a sport/steet tire?

I'm just curious if street tires like pilot power's should be able to lean to the fairings as well?

I'm sure I haven't gotten close to the limits of my tires but if scraping plastic is the limit then I have a long ways to go.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts

I'm just curious if street tires like pilot power's should be able to lean to the fairings as well?

I'm sure I haven't gotten close to the limits of my tires but if scraping plastic is the limit then I have a long ways to go.
I have Pilot Powers scrubbed all the way to the edge and haven't dragged the fairing.

·
Registered
715 Posts
So scrubbing all the way to the edge is safe on a stockish 929 with street/sport tires?

Red Rider you also scrape levers? Are you saying your rear brake lever I hope? When I read that I thought you meant the clutch and front brake lever.

·
Registered
715 Posts
What is the proper way to set up stock suspension on the 929? I just set mine according to what sport rider said and it made a big positive difference in the way my bike rides and holds a line in corners.

I didn't set up my static sag or other sag either. What is the right amount of sag?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts

Depends on which Corsas you're talking about. I run Pirelli slicks on the track so I can't really tell you much about Michelins. I was referring to scraping the brake and shift pedals(levers) being possible on stock suspension. Depending on the tire (and pressures) the 929 can have a considerable amount of lean angle. The first thing to do is set the sag to get the most out of the suspension (stock or aftermarket).

·
Registered
715 Posts
Is there a way to adjust the preload of the rear suspension on a 929 without a special tool? I tried using a giant standard screwdriver but that didn't work. I need to tighten mine about 4 notches.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I did adjust mine on the bike back in '03 when I got it (the only time I ever adjusted it actually) but I can't recall what I used. I do recall it was a mongrel of a job though. I've got a vague idea that I had to use two tools because there wasn't enough room to turn it a full notch in one hit so I had to turn it and hold it while I gripped it again to turn it further to lock in the notch.
The best way is to remove the shock and put it in a vice where you can get a proper grip on it with some big grips. Sounds like a much bigger job than it really is. You just remove the top shock bolt/nut and the two linkage plate bolts and drop the shock out the bottom, clean and adjust it and stick it back in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts