Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as some of you know Ive had alot of problems lately with charging, not uncommon with this bike I see. Well of course I have a manual etc but some there wording makes the assumption that a person knows certain things, like continuity or where to set the multimeter etc.

So there is hundreds of threads on what to test to find out if the stator, RR is bad but no real how to's.

I think Ive gotten mine figured out (maybe) but how about someone write a real how to?

Like for example.
1. Set multi meter to (example)
2. connect probes to wires 1,2,3 etc
3. Should see this on multi-meter...(example)
4. Switch to ohms.... ground probe
5 Should see this on ohm setting between wires (example)

etc etc, I know it seems kinda pre schoolish to have to walk people step by step through a problem but I know Im an electric rookie, sure I know how to test to see is my batt is charging by simple volts but diagnostics can be tricky.

Thought maybe this would help, maybe get some rep for a good "how to".

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
Well as some of you know Ive had alot of problems lately with charging, not uncommon with this bike I see. Well of course I have a manual etc but some there wording makes the assumption that a person knows certain things, like continuity or where to set the multimeter etc.

So there is hundreds of threads on what to test to find out if the stator, RR is bad but no real how to's.

I think Ive gotten mine figured out (maybe) but how about someone write a real how to?

Like for example.
1. Set multi meter to (example)
2. connect probes to wires 1,2,3 etc
3. Should see this on multi-meter...(example)
4. Switch to ohms.... ground probe
5 Should see this on ohm setting between wires (example)

etc etc, I know it seems kinda pre schoolish to have to walk people step by step through a problem but I know Im an electric rookie, sure I know how to test to see is my batt is charging by simple volts but diagnostics can be tricky.

Thought maybe this would help, maybe get some rep for a good "how to".
You make good suggestion's. When it comes to Multi meter's; there are a few out there that are some what complicated. There are many methods and to many different way's to skin a cat to find the answer.
However, meter settings/placing the ground probe/pins to read/reading values/ and wether or not you should test it with your tongue kind of info will help allot of sittuations along better. Not everybody can do that.
I presently do not have any electrical problems related to motorcycles occurring.
Since you have a manual for your motorcycle, you probably dont need my help. However, I bet you could stump me, if you had a question.:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am getting to know my multi meter real well now. I bought it to simply test for voltage to see if my car alternator was charging my battery, getting lots of new use out of it now.

Im not sure about your last 2 sentences...maybe some sarcasm? lol. Ive done the tests the best I can, ther is a great diagnostic flow chart at electrosport dot com....literally walks you through it.

Everyone says that is my Stator was toast I would be able to tell as soon as I opened the case...not so. If my stator is toast (wotn say for sure till I get the new one) the old ones shows no obvious physical defects...no burn wires...nothing. Thats the only part that still makes me wonder if its the stator. That and the wires from the connector to my RR seem to be corroded, Im hoping it doesnt need an RR as well...we will see.

SO I guess I found my "how to" electrosport.com has a great one!

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
No sarcasm:cool: . I dont have enough info from you to give any advice really.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.