Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While browsing my latest issue of PC World today I came across an article telling of a very important patch. Maybe most of you already know about it, but for those who don't, go to the attached link.

PC World's article begins: "Here's one patch that you don't want to miss: Microsoft recently released a single security update that fixes 14 separate flaws. Six of these are rated "critical", and most of them occur in
Windows XP, 2000, and NT 4.0, and in Windows Server 2003.".....

After opening the link, scroll down to find your OS version.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I saw that patch listed when I did a system scan for updates. It mentioned something about an all inclusive update and was found in the 'critical' updates section.

I was having some system slowness issues lately and this patch fixed it...really.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I wonder why that security patch didn't show up when I went to Windows Update and scanned my system for Critical Updates. :huh:

·
Registered
105 Posts
It didn't show up because you have W98 or you already downloaded it. W98 is safe from most of these problems because its not built on the NT platform that supports NTFS. Anyway, 98 is also not supported from Microsoft for patches and such because its been out for so long. So all you 98 people that think you are good, you better upgrade to 2k or better if you want updates and service packs to make your hardware and software run better. Upgrade your existing computer to XP and it will run better and more efficiently than now, and you will notice the difference!!!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Good recommendation Bacchus, that patch fixes a vulnertablity that the Sasser worm took advantage of. But Sasser has probably taken full advantage of any system with out the patch by now unless you had other measures in place.

If you have concerns about the state of your computer if you only just patched it then have a read below for more info on how to handle things.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that link matt! :thumb: I have been worried for awhile about Sasser, 'cause I swear on a number of occasions my 'puter has been on in the morning, when I knew I had shut down the eve before. According to something I read, this is one of the things this virus is capable of. But after running the check in your link, it comes up "not infected"... :idunno: Also, shortly after noticing this phenomenon, I realized that a Word file with passwords no longer existed on my HD. No real loss, as they were all unimportant, but it's still scary as hell.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Bacchus said:
Thanks for that link matt! :thumb: I have been worried for awhile about Sasser, 'cause I swear on a number of occasions my 'puter has been on in the morning, when I knew I had shut down the eve before. According to something I read, this is one of the things this virus is capable of. But after running the check in your link, it comes up "not infected"... :idunno: Also, shortly after noticing this phenomenon, I realized that a Word file with passwords no longer existed on my HD. No real loss, as they were all unimportant, but it's still scary as hell.
Do you have a phone line connected to your computer at all? Sometimes the Bios can be setup so that when a call comes in it will turn the computer on, check out you bios settings (usually done by hitting the 'Del' key during the early stages of the boot up process, if its not the Del key then look for text saying something like 'Hit -some-such-key- to enter setup') and see if the setting for 'Wake on Ring' or 'Ring Power Up' is enabled. While you're at it disable the 'Wake on LAN' setting as well.

I'd be surprised if its a virus turning the computer on, if it is then it will have infected your bios and then there will be some interesting issues. But most bioses today have protection against that so I'd check the Wake on Ring and Wake on LAN settings and make sure they are disabled. Those setting will most likely be found under the Power section.

But be careful when you are looking through your bios settings, if you accidentally make a change you aren't sure will adversly affect things then Exit the setup screen WITHOUT saving, then go back into hte bios setup and look for the Wake on settings.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I tried downloading the latest critical updates and when it trys to install it says I have an invalid product number and will not load :idunno:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts