Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local shop can get me a rear MEZ4 for $200 mounted. Is that tire worth a crap, and is that a decent deal?

Probably a stupid question, but will that rear tire be fine with my stock Bridgestone front?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I had that rubber on my SV as OEM equipment. I would later replace the tires with D207s.

The MEZ4 is a sport-touring meat, not as sticky as some of your other choices. But it will wear well for you, provide good wet weather traction, and offer acceptable levels of grip in most street riding scenarios.

In practice, I like to keep tires from the same manufacturer on my bike, front and back. My feeling is that tires are designed not as single stand alone items, but in pairs... and for a reason. Yet you could probably put several combinations of front/rear rubber on your bike and, so long as you stuck with modern brand name products within the same genre, you'd likely be fine.

In any event, $200 mounted and balanced sounds a little steep to me for the MEZ4. A 190/50ZR17 is only $125 from Parts411...

LINK

·
Registered
502 Posts
The MEZ4 is a good tire, and I've always gotten good life and traction from them. I usually like to run a sport compound up front, and a sport touring compund in the back. This way, they wear out at roughly the same time and you can replace them as a set, which is ideal.

I recently tried a Metz Sportec front and MEZ4 rear combo and found that the profiles are not compatable, giving a strange steering feel. Traction was still very good, giving good confidence, but the steering always felt strange as I leaned into a corner.  I ran a Bridgestone 010 front / 020 rear setup and had no issues like this. The Sportec and MEZs are two different tire series/constructions and so do not play as well together.

$200 mounted and balanced is a rip-off, by the way........

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies - this site is priceless for noobs like me. This is my 17th bike, but my first street bike.

The goons at my Honda shop keep pushing this MEZ4 - but they are just that - goons.

I found another shop that will give me the same deal on a Dunlop 208 for $200 mounted (that is with me taking the whole bike in BTW - not just the wheel).

Will that be a more true-sport tire rather than a sport touring tire?

I am much more concerned with total traction and compatability with my stock front tire than I am longevity of the tire.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I personally wouldn't mix and match brands. I've always been told it's not a good idea. The price they gave you, I agree, sounds a bit steep. If these tires are for your 929/954 and you prefer good traction over wear, the MEZ4 isn't a good option, as it's a sport-touring tire. Have you looked into Pirelli Diablos or Diablo Corsas? They offer great traction and so far, mine are wearing well too.

·
Registered
777 Posts
$200 for that tire? Ouch. I know the whole 'buy from your local dealer' argument may come up but you can buy a set of Sportecs for a little more than that from Ron Ayers. Take your wheels off and save some money on the mounting. The Sportecs are the best tire for the money I have found.

·
Registered
21 Posts
are we talking U.S $$$ ?

I've just changed both tires on my ST1100 for $315.00 Can taxes/installation included. ( I brought the bike in!!&#33.

In 2002, 2 Michelin Macadam 100X for my VTR for $350.00 Can taxes/installation included! (brought the bike in)

In 2002, 1 D207 (rear) for my R1 was $205. Can all included!

$200 US is way too much!!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just decided to stick another BT012 on there. Too many people told me not to mix and match brands so I am just sticking with the OEM tire.

That said, $170 is the best I can do around here on that tire. That is at a Hardley shop I have never done business at. The dealer I bought my 954 from wants $220 for that tire. (I have spent @$45,000 in that shop over the last 7 years and that is the 'deal' they gave me.)

Also, most of the shops around here won't mount a tire I didn't buy off of them - so they got me.

BT012 - $200 mounted. Probably got hosed - won't be the first time.

Thanks alot for all the responses from everyone. Without your input I would be cruising around on a Metzeler touring tire right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts