Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this month's issue of BIKE (about the greatest monthly collection of motojournalism in the world IMO), the OEM Michelen Pilot Sport won a five way (or was it six...) shootout among sporting rubber contestants.

Yes, the tests were at least somewhat subjective in that they are the findings of a lone tester, but they did attempt to make it as empirical as possible by measuring tire temps, lap times, and emergency braking distances. They also considered apparent wear at the end of each session.

Very compelling was that BIKE's subject tester is known for disliking Michelen motorcycles tires, having recently suffered a crash (or some other unstated mishap) while riding a Michelen-shod bike. It was a single-blind test in which he didn't know from one tire to the other what he was riding on, but he scored the Pilot Sports best.

I know there are some anti-Michelen guys here on our beloved board, but I've liked my Pilot Sports from the first time I experienced them on my new 954. I just thought I'd pass along the intel as I found it interesting...

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HondaGal : Oh well, thanks Chain.  
You're welcome HG.

Hey, you could always go to Barnes and Noble to shell out the eight bucks ( ! ) for the mag to see it all.

Man, I have GOT to get with the US importers that Baketech turned me onto and subscribe to the doggone magazine already!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Blaine at swmototire.com swears by them and insists that they are the best road-tire out there. Many people swear by them, saying that once they heat up, they're glue. Unfortunately, I think few of us properly warm up a tire on the street and that's probably the reason most of us have gone to the Sportecs or what-not. I sh!t-canned my Pilots a week after I almost low-sided on them.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'll get around to purchasing the mag eventually but while I'm here at work, I wouldn't mind some more details. BTW, almost all reviews I have read have placed the Pilots at (or near) the top.

Under what conditions were they tested? Was it hot, sunny track? Cold? Rainy?

As far as Pilot haters go... I have always had Pilots and they are great tires. However, they do have characteristics which make them less than optimal for me; long warm-up periods and all-or-nothing grip. Were those two characteristics mentioned?

How were the other tires ranked? Diablos? M1's?

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nomad : How were the other tires ranked?  Diablos?  M1's?
Shoot bro, I can't really recall where the other tires lined up.

One thing I do remember though was this: the article was suggestive that the differences between 'worst' and 'best' wasn't terribly large. I got the feeling that you pretty much can't really buy a BAD top shelf sporting tire from a reputable manufacturer these days. Folks that say you can are a little biased and one brand loyal IMO -or- are die hard track folk who might acutally be able to wring out the differences.

But again, this was a sporting street tire report. Another similar test of DOT legal racing rubber is coming in the next month or two.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Chain : I got the feeling that you pretty much can't really buy a BAD top shelf sporting tire from a reputable manufacturer these days.
I agree.  Motorcycle tire development has come so far that probably any of those available today would work.  Since confidence in your tires is such a big part of how well you might ride, it's important to find a tire that you trust, regardless of the manufacturer.  I'm hoping the Diablo fits the bill because I like the look and feel of it so far.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Chain : Shoot bro, I can't really recall where the other tires lined up.
You're killin' me with suspense! I'll pick it up tonight.

(Ok maybe not 'killing' but 'maiming me with suspense' for sure.)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
nomad : ...they are great tires.  However, they do have characteristics which make them less than optimal for me; long warm-up periods and all-or-nothing grip.
Yep, I agree with that Pilots assessment

·
Registered
476 Posts
I originally hated the Pilot Sports that came with my 954. They felt worse than the Dunlop 207's I started on and were no comparison to the M1's I have on my other bike. Of course this was in 40F weather and I would only ride for 45 min to an hour before I had to warm up. Just last night with the temp around 78 I was thinking 'man these tires grip pretty well' I rode with some friends after work in our favorite set of twisties and really felt confident. I had to adjust my line for debris and once because oncoming traffic wasn't going to tolerate my upper torso in their lane and I really liked the tires. I think I was too soon to judge them but will probably have M1's on the bike next year.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I like the Pilots, and truth be told, I haven't tried another brand. But I do find them to be a little 'greasy' when cold.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
OK Chain, since you are such a great salesman I asked my girlfriend to pick up an issue of Bike on her way home tonight (since she was stopping at an appropriate retailer anyway). I haven't even checked it out yet, but for fooking $7.95 it had better be good! Otherwise, you will be receiving an invoice shortly!

·
Registered
998 Posts
My 954 also came with pilot sports, which ive done about 3000ks (~1860Mi) on and so far I think there pretty good although i havnt taken it to the track yet! Only had one moment when the rear let go when i gassed it a bit hard on a very tight low speed corner although they were very cold at the time and regained traction almost instantly, although on the other hand a mate of mine who is a damm good rider put 'pilot race' on his GSXR1000 and and had a bad highside knocked himself unconcious broke some ribs, and dislocated his shoulder not to mention about $3000.00 damage to bike, got it fixed up and a couple of rides later lowsided it at about 20kph turning out of his street (and this guy aint no squid, as another mate of ours who regularily places in our formula extreme series cant pull away from him one bit when they sometimes go riding together)

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
One of the guys I ride with just highsided his Mille at Grattan on Monday riding on stock Pilots. He was on his 6th lap so the tires were definitely heated up and they were gripping well right up to the moment the rear kicked out on him.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Red Rider : One of the guys I ride with just highsided his Mille at Grattan on Monday riding on stock Pilots.  He was on his 6th lap so the tires were definitely heated up and they were gripping well right up to the moment the rear kicked out on him.
You can't really claim a cause and effect relationship between the highside and the Michelens, can you?

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bacchus : OK Chain, since you are such a great salesman I asked my girlfriend to pick up an issue of Bike on her way home tonight (since she was stopping at an appropriate retailer anyway).  I haven't even checked it out yet, but for fooking $7.95 it had better be good!  Otherwise, you will be receiving an invoice shortly!  
I know, I know. It's not cheap. But you can get a full year's worth for about fifty bucks. Baketech's got the contact information for the US importer. I think it's in fine print on the mag's table of contents page as well. Trust me though, it's an outstanding periodical, probably the best in the industry.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts