Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a serpent system on my 2000 929. i busted up the carbon fiber can. the muffler is totaled. when replacing, do i need to purchase one specifically for my system or are all of the cans the same?

i know its hindle this and hindle that around here.......but i could use some help.

thanks

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think that the end cans are pretty universal.. I think that the Slip/bolt on tests that are performed  are only based on luck. No way a manufacturer uses lots of hours on dynotesting each pipe on every bike. I believe that each manufacturer use one sort of perforated tube and one sort of damping material. If one pipe turns out to be more power releasing than the other, it's luck...  The money goes in to cnc'ing a good looking section between the bikes midpipe and the end pipe. I bought an Akrapovic bolt-on can for my bike, but that is because of finish and fit. My guess is that they use the same pipe with only different 'joints' on all in line 4 cylinder bikes.. Use whatever pipe fits! Peace! (I've had way  to much to  drink; but I think i will stand for what I've just stated tomorow as well)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Since you have the serpent system, I'm pretty sure that you're gonna have to stick with a Micron can. If you had just a regular slip-on, it wouldn't be a big deal and you could put on whatever new can you wanted. But, the Micron Serpent system uses different diameter pipe than the stock pipe. And, like most other things, components of different manufactures products are not fully interchangeable. I could be wrong, but you would definitly need to get some measurements before buying anything.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
ummmm, it's also Arata this and Arata that in case you haven't noticed.

Although many pipes are the same diameter where the can mounts, I would seriously doubt most use the same or compatible mounting scheme. Some use springs, some use hose clamps, some slip over the pipe, some have a flange that slips over the pipe. While I doubt there would be a major performance difference between several cans (given that they could actually mount to your pipe), I would stick to the type specifically manufactured for your Serpent system.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright....next question....

how would i go about purchasing only the muffler that is supplied with my serpent system? dealer? manufacturer?

btw ab......ever heard of May & Scofield over there? just curious as i do a bit of work for them from time to time.

thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
you can just order a new sleeve also if the core isnt crushed .... one of the beauties of micron cans is that a rebuild requires no drilling out rivets, just an allen wrench

1 - 7 of 7 Posts