Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever taken their Micron sleeve and replaced it with a different kind? I've got a polished aluminum Micron bolt on and want to replace it with a carbon or ti sleeve. Is this possible or do they build them so they won't interchange?

·
Registered
453 Posts
you can change it to anything your hearts desire, they all the same and its so easy on the micron's .... if you want a carbon fiber sleeve i can tell you from having one myself that their carbon fiber is flat out, the best carbon fiber you can buy on a pipe

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The ONLY thing I don't like about Micron is that they claim that the sleeve should not be part of the structure of the muffler. Ok, but what holds the muffler in place? A clamp on the sleeve! I have a carbon oval on my XX, sweet pipe but you can hold the outlet and move the whole pipe around a bit while the sleeve stays in place because it is basically floating on the rubber gaskets on the endcaps. Like I said, it's sweet except for that. I also got the pipe off eBay for $52.00, the ti. can was dented so I got a new clamp and carbon sleeve for like $155. Not bad for a full system. :D :cycle:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I wonder if they did that to keep the bolts from vibrating loose? (Seriously)

It's easy to swap, you don't even have to fool with rivets...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I haven't noticed any play in my Micron but maybe that's due to it being a bolt on so it has a secure mount to the exhaust (instead of springs).

I'll give Micron a call. I suppose I'll need to get a new end cap also.

Yep, pretty simple another $189 gone. Luckily I don't need new seals as I have replaced the aluminum sleeve once before (another $30). As far the the can being loose, maybe on the carbon sleeve. They said 3 washers or their spacer are needed to keep the clamp from crushing the canister. Although he did say it's not likely for the canister to be crushed from the clamp.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
but maybe that's due to it being a bolt on so it has a secure mount to the exhaust (instead of springs).
Good thought but nope. The sleeve is very secure, the rest just floats in there LOL!
Bob

·
Registered
799 Posts
where can you order just the sleeve?

I have a CF can with a TINY hole in it, wanted to replace it with the Alum can that goes from black to yellow.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sirkbac said:
where can you order just the sleeve?

I have a CF can with a TINY hole in it, wanted to replace it with the Alum can that goes from black to yellow.
I got mine direct from Micron (got their phone number off their website). You can go through a dealer too if they sell Micron stuff.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just wanted to update. Installed the new Carbon sleeve today. It was super easy. On a 1 to 10 scale it's a 1. If you've never replaced the sleeve or packing it might be harder. The first time I replaced the sleeve the packing was almost glued to the sleeve which made it close to impossible to remove and destroyed the packing. This time though it was a piece of cake.

Definitely like the new look over the old one. Here's a couple pics.

Before

·
Registered
139 Posts
so you put a new sleeve on? I got a carbon fiber one and i wanna get a polished one or something close to that, about how much do the sleeves cost and whats actually involved in puttin them on? Also does anyone know where i can get that band that goes around the slipon? Thanx

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are easy to install for the most part. The first time I replaced the sleeve (bought it with a dent), the original packing material was melted to the sleeve so it made it really hard to pull the sleeve off. But this time it slide right off. I left it on the bike. Removed the strap around the canister. Removed the 4 end cap bolts. Gently removed the endcap making sure not to tear the rubber seal. Then pulled the sleeve off, also being sure not to damage the rubber seal on the other end.

Micron sells the sleeves and the band. You can call them direct or any dealer that sells Micron stuff can get the parts. If I remember correctly the polished aluminum sleeve is about $100. I would sell you my old one but it's got scratches near the band and a little gouge in another spot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts