Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The URGE car enables people, while parked, to play the game ''Project Gotham Racing 3'' using the vehicle's steering wheel, gas pedal, and brake pedal.
By: Antone Gonsalves
TechWeb News

Dec 29, 2005 02:48 PM

Microsoft Corp. and Nissan North America Inc. have jointly developed a concept car that's equipped with an Xbox 360 videogame and entertainment system.

The URGE car enables people, while parked, to play the game "Project Gotham Racing 3" using the vehicle's steering wheel, gas pedal and brake pedal. The game, developed by Bizarre Creations Ltd., is shown on a flip-down 7-inch LCD screen.

The URGE is scheduled to make its debut Jan. 9 at the 2006 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

A survey of 2,000 teens and young adults found that a majority listed technology and gaming as among the "most important attributes in their first car," Bruce Campbell, vice president of design for Nissan, said in a joint statement.

Project Gotham Racing lets people pretend to drive the streets of New York, London, Las Vegas or Tokyo, or the Nurburgring test track in Germany. By embedding the game in the car, the Xbox "delivers an immersive driving experience not available in any living room," the companies said.

A driver in New York, for example, can park the car and then pretend to race through the same streets. The flip-down LCD screen doubles as a rear-view mirror when not in use.

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=175701228
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
A survey of 2,000 teens and young adults found that a majority listed technology and gaming as among the "most important attributes in their first car," Bruce Campbell, vice president of design for Nissan, said in a joint statement.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BDA116 said:
Did Nissan's legal department even think this through?
Talk about an idiotic idea.
Agreed, people will just want to go driving after they play the game. Not a good combination.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
BDA116 said:
Did Nissan's legal department even think this through?
Talk about an idiotic idea.
Show vehicles are supposed to be big WOW getters, not practical, and many have idiotic ideas. The company I am paid by has been putting this type of stuff in display vehicles for several years, working with MS on rolling offices and stuff. Most of it will never make it, especially when those people surveyed are asked to cough up the money to pay for it.

From an implementation standpoint, many cars now have all the sensors needed to do it. Throttle position and brake have been there, and now with electronic assisted steering they have the steering input. You too can have this on your own vehicle with just a little effort. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
I'll have to get MotoGP 3 on the R6, it has throttle by wire.

If you're involved with that kind of stuff, it sounds like you have a cool job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
By embedding the game in the car, the Xbox "delivers an immersive driving experience not available in any living room," the companies said.


A 7" flip down screen is "Immersive". Sure, it's fun to play, but until they come up with a 360 degree screen top, bottom and side to side, no game or game system will be immersive in my book.
Fig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,531 Posts
gt702 said:
Show vehicles are supposed to be big WOW getters, not practical, and many have idiotic ideas. The company I am paid by has been putting this type of stuff in display vehicles for several years, working with MS on rolling offices and stuff. Most of it will never make it, especially when those people surveyed are asked to cough up the money to pay for it.

From an implementation standpoint, many cars now have all the sensors needed to do it. Throttle position and brake have been there, and now with electronic assisted steering they have the steering input. You too can have this on your own vehicle with just a little effort. :rolleyes:
Yeah, show vehicles have been hideous for years - true. Yeah, anyone can add this crap to their own car.
But the last part of that blurb made it sound like it's a thought for actual production.
THAT would be purely idiotic. Then again, I'm not into any gaming, let alone the crap people put into cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
The S2K's replacement? (Acura badged I know)

That would be cool as hell. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
BDA116 said:
Yeah, show vehicles have been hideous for years - true. Yeah, anyone can add this crap to their own car.
But the last part of that blurb made it sound like it's a thought for actual production.
If enough people are willing to pay for something to make a good profit and get "market diferentiation" then the auto companies are likely to take it seriously. Recently all of the "show" stuff comes with a disclaimer hinting it might come to production if there is enough interest. That is the way the draw interest, because no one is interested if there is no chance of getting it.

BDA116 said:
THAT would be purely idiotic. Then again, I'm not into any gaming, let alone the crap people put into cars.
:plus1: Fully agree with you on this one. But my management doesn't agree with me.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
luvtolean said:
If you're involved with that kind of stuff, it sounds like you have a cool job.
Worked with the guys who did the cool stuff, but didn't do it directly. I did use them to build a "technology demonstrator" motorcycle that Victory had on display at Sturgis, and other places. Putting their new engine control system on the bike was a lot of fun :eyebrows: ... Now I just try to make the fans go around on boring cars :crying:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top