Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any good (street) riding that would be relatively close to the Detroit area? It sucks around here and my buddies and I don't want to have to drive all the way down to Deal's Gap again. We waste 2 days driving, then only get to ride for a day or two.

Maybe Southern Indiana anywhere....Northern Kentucky...just looking for some confirmed good roads.

Thanks boyzzzzzzzz.

·
Registered
433 Posts
There are some good roads that are about 4 hours away from you. You can start off in southeastern Ohio (Hocking Hills area, 30 mins sourtheast of Columbus). From there you can head down into West Virginia and Kentucky. That is mainly where we ride. They are pretty good roads but they pale in comparison to the Deals Gap area. Then again, the only places that might compete against Deals Gap is the Rockies and the Sierras.

Most of it is sweepers with lots of elevation changes and such. As you get further south you get more and more elevation changes and such. Northern Kentucky (south of Cinci) is also good from what I hear. Just beware of Rt 555 in Ohio. It is a good road but has *lots* of unmarked, 15MPH turns that occur just after you crest a hill. If you aren't prepared and slow down over the hill then you will definitely blow the turn. A friend just crashed his 954 there 3 weeks ago and broke his collarbone and fractured his pelvis. I rode it once by myself and ran off the road twice. It is fun if taken at the proper speed, but if you don't know the road it will bite you hard if you try to go fast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, bro...any particular roads in the Southeastern Ohio/WV area, or just play it by ear. I'm afraid that is a little more that 4 hours, though. Takes me 4-5 to get to Cincy, and that is not going diagonally across Ohio.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I'm with ya' Shogan, the roads around here suck. Some friends ride out near Pinckney, Hell, Stockbridge area, but it's nothing like the roads down south or out west. Northern lower Michigan has some decent roads too, but they're also a 4 hour ride away. I've ridden the roads around Marietta, Ohio in the southeast corner of the state and they are excellent. A good weekend trip with a lot less travel time than the Gap.

Good luck...let me know if you find anything good.

Oh yeah...welcome to da' .org!

·
Registered
433 Posts
It will take your 4 hours or so to get to Hocking Hills. To get to Cinci it will take you a bit longer...

I will see if I can pull up some SE Ohio road info that I have travelled and send it out to you.

FYI, Red, Hocking Hills to Marietta and further is the area I am mostly talking about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks dudes...I really appreciate the help...any more info is absolutely useful.

Peace out...
(Burn out is more appropriate here)

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Since they have 'mountains' in Michigan like 'Mount Brighton' and 'Mount Holly', that have a mean elevation change of 200 feet, I would begin looking elsewhere. I think Kansas has roads that exceed the the elevation changes in Michigan, so if you are looking for nice 'mountain roads', I think you will need to do some commuting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
head over to WOOSTER ohio and ride 83 to millersburg and the roads around there, 62 to columbus is good too, my friend grew up there. We make several trips down to ride the 'good' roads. He laughed the first time we went and he saw the size of my eyes goin up/down/round the hilly curvy roads.. I just got back from mid-ohio bout 3hrs from novi... worth the drive!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again boyeeeez. Keep the info coming, we are definitely going to use some of your suggestions.

Actually, we used to drive 5 hours through Ontario to get to Buffalo...there is some decent riding south of Bufallo, believe it or not. If anyone lives within a few hours of there, it is worth a trip.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Rt. 41 is an excellent road (Bainbridge, OH at Rt. 50 down to the River) and Rt. 10 in N. KY is really awesome (took noodles through there a while back)

Lots of twisties (sweeping and tight).
There is a hill on Rt. 41 that we have nicknamed 'Sh*tstain Hill'  Everyone who goes over it quickly realizes why it is name that!  

1 - 12 of 12 Posts