Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting back into a sport bike and am thinking of trading my 2004 Honda VTX1300 for a 2000 CBR929RR but had a few questions. The add is posted below to the CL posting.

I have taken the bike for a test ride and really enjoyed the ride, but have some concerns so I figured I'd check with some people that know the 929RRs better.

Firstly, the ad mentions needing a new battery. The current owner said that he needs to run a trickle charger on the old battery to get it to run. Having read some about the 929, my concern is that it's more serious than just a battery swap and is in fact an issue with the charging. If it were the charging, how much would that run to fix up? I'm comfortable with most work up to but not including an full engine tear down.

Second, I'm not the best at putting value to things. My gut feeling is that my Cruiser is worth more than his bike and an even trade wouldn't be in my best interest. But this could just be due to the fact that it's my cruiser and I'm not being realistic. Could use some outside opinions.

Last, the bike is listed as having 14k miles, but in fact over 18k. The bike is a beautiful bike, but this is another thing in my mind putting my bike's value over theirs. The custom paint job and some other factors make me think the bike has been down(no damage on current paint job), but fixed up pretty well.

If the electrical issue wasn't a potential problem, and the bike didn't look like it had been down I wouldn't be questioning it. I'm hoping to get some outside opinions, especially from current/past 929RR owners.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.

2000 cbr 929rr

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
well, first off, welcome :hi:

$4K seems a bit on the high side (motorcycle pun there) ;) unless the owner can give you a 3ring binder full of receipts and service records, I'd steer clear. Around here, an appropriate asking price would be $2500-3500. The "custom" paint is only worth a dime if the potential buyer LIKES it.

As far as the charging system is concerned... it MAY just be the battery, but surely could be time to replace the stator, regulator/rectifier, and battery. Kind of a crapshoot there. Price? OEM equipment will run you around $500.

I think (sight unseen) your VTX is worth about the same at the 929... that is, if neither have been down, nor a salvage (or equivalent) title.

If you're on the fence... don't make the trade (my advice). I'd keep the VTX (and if it's about the money), and save up for a sport or sport/tourer, keeping both. :cycle: :cycle:

...I have one of each, and am glad ;) good luck, and keep us posted :thumb:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Nicely put unslow:thumb:.......and further to the battery issue.....if someone is selling a 15 year old niner for 4k you would think hey would put 60-80 dollars into a cheap battery so as to not bother having to explain it away. Custom paint on sportbikes always raises concerns for me for obvious reasons.....I would keep looking and at this time of year more will be coming available:eyebrows:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for the info. Everything you said makes sense, and goes in line with what I had a feeling of but I really liked the 929RR so I thought it was worth looking into a little bit more. I will have to keep my eyes open as the riding season wraps up.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
78 Posts
If he's interested in repairable vehicles that may have been one. I would never pay top dollar for a sportbike with non-OEM paint.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bike has stock exhaust with some cut down bolt-on muffler. You would think if he is a "technician" he would know the difference from a stock exhaust to a full aftermarket system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts