Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got a mini DV video camera for Christmas from the wife and want to see what I will need to be able to transfer the video to my PC for editing and then transfer to DVD before i really start using it in the spring and summer during motorcycle rides and other stuff.

I figure a few of you out there have experience with it so how do you do it? The book for the camera only tells me that I need a dv cable and how to use it pretty much as a web cam... So as of right now I am clueless until I find more info on it online... Figured I would start here since we have many tech junkies here... thanks :cheers:

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I use a firewire cable to connect my Sony miniDV camcorder to the computer and use Pinnacle Studio to transfer, encode, and burn the video to a DVD. There are other good programs available that have more editing and authoring features though.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Right. You'll need a video editing program, which will enable you to "capture" the video from your Mini DV tape to something such as an .AVI file. The software will also allow you to edit the footage, add titles and transitions and music and such, and (provided you have a DVD burner), write it all to a DVD disc.

Pinnacle is decent. Adobe Premiere is great, but pricey. Do some research on video editing software and pick the best one in your price range.

Here's a link to get you started. :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very good. should get me started. Guess first thing is to go get a cable... Will a firewire to USB work? It says something about core filters; are they necessary?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Getsome said:
Very good. should get me started. Guess first thing is to go get a cable... Will a firewire to USB work? It says something about core filters; are they necessary?
If your computer has firewire plug into that. Firewire allows you to control the camera. No idea on filters I just plug it in and download :idunno:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, just looked over the comp and no firewire connection(all I have is USB ports)... Do I need to buy some sort of card or is a new computer gonna be in my best interest?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool. will hit office depot or circuit city tomorrow and see what i can find. maybe check tigerdirect tonight. thanks sheepster.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You might need the driver for the device as well. Not sure about this though. I know XP has a bunch of drivers installed from the factory ready for plug n play.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help guys. Got my firewire card and cable today and transferred our Christmas video to the computer. Windows Movie maker is a handy little toy.. Now I just need to get out riding and get some good stuff up at the mountain we ride and god knows what else this year and see what I can come up with...

Next I need to get a DVD burner and a editing program with a little more power and ability to burn a dvd.

any suggestions there?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Getsome said:
Thanks for the help guys. Got my firewire card and cable today and transferred our Christmas video to the computer. Windows Movie maker is a handy little toy.. Now I just need to get out riding and get some good stuff up at the mountain we ride and god knows what else this year and see what I can come up with...

Next I need to get a DVD burner and a editing program with a little more power and ability to burn a dvd.

any suggestions there?
A mac :rotfl:

OK so you won't do that so the lightscribe systems seemed pretty cool so you can have great labels

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sheepofblue said:
A mac :rotfl:

OK so you won't do that so the lightscribe systems seemed pretty cool so you can have great labels
I looked at a bunch online today and the lightscribe seems pretty cool. Will probably go with one that does that.... pretty neat stuff.

but as far as the editor?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Getsome said:
I looked at a bunch online today and the lightscribe seems pretty cool. Will probably go with one that does that.... pretty neat stuff.

but as far as the editor?
:idunno: I have a Mac and iMovie, iDVD meet my needs (which are light) I have not even used the Final Cut Express that I have :O

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool. will look into that one...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts