Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After ten years of riding my blade with mirrors removed, I decided that safety was paramount and re-installed them.

It is good to see where you have just ridden from, and great to see if there is danger behind. But the bike looks so damn ridiculous with them on.

My son thought they looked like mickey mouse ears. To me they look like wild antlers.

Can you guys help me out here? Should they stay or should they go?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I rode without mirrors for just a few days on the street before i put them back on.. On the street I wouldn't do without them...

edit: i have to agree with you on the look but the safety part of it can't be overlooked.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just installed a set of bar-end mirrors on my 929. What a difference! The visibility is great and the bike looks fantastic. I got mine at Cycle Gear here in Phoenix, but Lockhart Phillips has them as well. The mirrors are convex (3") and are billet aluminum. Cycle Gear had them for $60.00, Lockhart for about $80.00. I've seen them on E-Bay as well. Good Luck!:thumb:

·
Banned
88 Posts
i would think that bar end mirrors look retarded. i dont mind mirrors on the bike, their purpose is well suited and the looks dont bother me much. i ride with no mirrors because i have no upper fairing...

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
You'd end up with a $40 ticket without mirrors out here.

You're on a streetbike. It's supposed to have mirrors on it, regardless of looks.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
You've already figured out that they're paramount to safety, so leave 'em on!
The stock ones on my 929 look a lot better than many other stock mirrors out there, IMO.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I finished putting my bike back together yesterday and took it out to make sure I had burped the coolant correctly. Didn't put the mirrors back on because I wanted to get it done before it got dark.

Lesson learned: I will never ride without mirrors on the street again. I didn't like not being able to see where the retards were.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I sure wish a better solution was out there because they sure are ugly but I don't know how you could ride with out them. I feel lost not being able to see back.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Ears look funny on humans... but given the option I dont think people would just remove them for looks.

I rode back from my very first track day without mirrors.... honestly, turning around got annoying after a while

I prefer to be able to see cops, cars and all the f-in idiots behind me at a glance. Plus, constantly looking over your shoulder can get ugly when you ride in the city. Always check your blind spot though!

-jh
proud supporter of holding my mirror from vibrating so that I can distinguish cop cars behind me on the highway.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I've always kept them on and won't go without them. My current bike came with mirror extenders, talk about stupid looking. But I can see pretty damn well behind me so I'm keeping them on. No elbows in the way anymore :hyper: It would annoy the crap out of me to not have mirrors, probably comes from driving a bus for a few years when the only way to look behind you was in your mirrors.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to everyone for your comments. The mirrors did go back on my bike and I'm getting used to using them.

I find that I can avoid the elbow view by just moving my head a little sideways :cycle:

·
Registered
248 Posts
AMTFGH said:
Thanks to everyone for your comments. The mirrors did go back on my bike and I'm getting used to using them.

I find that I can avoid the elbow view by just moving my head a little sideways :cycle:
Good choice!

BTW, at least one mirror is required by California law. I'm surprised the famous CHP's are so lax that they haven't noticed in the 10 years you've not had them.

Mirrors
26709. (a) Every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.
(z) Up to 95% obscuring of a rear view mirror by a motorcyclist's arm and elbow is permissible.

Subsection z was added by ducatigirl (www.ducatigirl.com), but it seems appropriate. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts