Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i could use some opinions. my 900 has been running rough for a day or 2 now.
its seems like it misfires worse under acceleration. also it seems to happen when the bike gets rained on. its been dry for a few days and its still running rough. i put some seafoam in the tank, thinking there may be water in the fuel somewhere. hasnt helped so far. tommorrow im gonna check the plugs for fire, and look for fuel in the carbs and such. just wondering if the fact that it misfires worse under load had any significance. when i rev it in neutral it sounds ok. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
hi, i could use some opinions. my 900 has been running rough for a day or 2 now.
its seems like it misfires worse under acceleration. also it seems to happen when the bike gets rained on. its been dry for a few days and its still running rough. i put some seafoam in the tank, thinking there may be water in the fuel somewhere. hasnt helped so far. tommorrow im gonna check the plugs for fire, and look for fuel in the carbs and such. just wondering if the fact that it misfires worse under load had any significance. when i rev it in neutral it sounds ok. any ideas?
Theres allot of questions with this one.
Check airfilter? Check coils for proper continuity? Carbs may have bad/leaky diaphragms on the slides? I'll ask more later.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
air filters good.havent check much else yet.just wonder if the misfire under load narrowed it down at all. ill know more tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when i pull the plugs, im gonna check each one against the frame to check for spark. that should help figure out if its the wires, plugs or coils , right?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Theres allot of questions with this one.
Check airfilter? Check coils for proper continuity? Carbs may have bad/leaky diaphragms on the slides? I'll ask more later.
when i pull the plugs, im gonna check each one against the frame to check for spark. that should help figure out if its the wires, plugs or coils , right?
Pretty much, just be sure to look for timing differences in the spark. Late or missed sparks obviously signal a problem.

Although checking the coils for the proper continuity and resistance would be better, before and after you run the bike. Weak coils can test good cold and bad hot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx ill post my findings tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
How old are the plugs?
If you're planning to pull them anyway maybe put new ones in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok heres what i found out: plug 1 and 2 are good. plug 3 had orange rusty looking stains on the wire boot and top of plugs, but it was firing. the hole for plug 4 was full of water. i blew out the water, pulled the plug, checked it, cleaned it up, put it back in, cranked her up, she coughed a few times, now its running smoothe again. im gonna have to wait till fri, but im gonna replace all the plugs and wires. im broke right now. i guess when the bikes in the rain, because of it sitting on the kickstand, water collects in the third and fourth spark plug hole. when im at home, she stays dry, unfortunately im at a motel, and theres no where to park it where it wont get wet. ill buy a cover fri also.
any one else ever seen this happen? shouldnt there be some kind of protection for the holes?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
ok heres what i found out: plug 1 and 2 are good. plug 3 had orange rusty looking stains on the wire boot and top of plugs, but it was firing. the hole for plug 4 was full of water. i blew out the water, pulled the plug, checked it, cleaned it up, put it back in, cranked her up, she coughed a few times, now its running smoothe again. im gonna have to wait till fri, but im gonna replace all the plugs and wires. im broke right now. i guess when the bikes in the rain, because of it sitting on the kickstand, water collects in the third and fourth spark plug hole. when im at home, she stays dry, unfortunately im at a motel, and theres no where to park it where it wont get wet. ill buy a cover fri also.
any one else ever seen this happen? shouldnt there be some kind of protection for the holes?
The plug wells should have drain holes out to the front of the cylinders so they shouldn't retain water.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh, well maybe somethings clogging them, ill have to check that when i put in new ones.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
oh, well maybe somethings clogging them, ill have to check that when i put in new ones.
You should _always_ blow out the plug wells with compressed air to clear any sand and debris out before you remove the plugs otherwise the crap falls into the cylinders.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, your right, i just bought a cover for now.ill wait till i get home to change the plugs and wires, so i can clean the wells properly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts