Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2003 954, bought off the original owner and he made a couple mods to it....not sure if there is anything I should do right away that is relatively cheap or if i should just leave it for awhile. Heres what is done to it so far:
  1. Akrapovic slip-on exhaust
  2. Techlusion TFi Fuel Injection Control box
  3. fender eliminator
  4. front flush mount signals
Like I said... anything I should do right away? (would like to keep the cost low)

Another question... im not too familiar with the Techlusion box, is this similar to a power commander? or different? anybody heard good or bad things about them?

thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Change the gearing...Cost anywhere from $30.00 to $200.00 depending on what you get. Also figure in another $100.00 for a Speedohealer unless you don't care about your speedometer/odometer being off.

I went to a 15/44 set up on my 929 with a speedohealer and love it.

Gearing is the best bang for your buck anyday...:thumb:

Steering Damper is also a great mod for the 929/954. I would go with a Scott's but thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
737 Posts
How old are the tires and what is on there? Might be the right time to change to a new set of Michelin Pilot Powers...

And irrespective of what the last owner told you about their respective condition, replace the brake fluid, oil, oil filter and coolant. Maybe even the plugs too.

What's the condition of the chain like? An RK GB520-GXW X-ring chain and different gearing would really help the bike. But you would need a SpeedoHealer otherwise your speedo will be off big time.

Cheers!
Sime

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,
I recently bought the same bike, bone stock with low miles....except for nice rearsets installed. Here is what was "bang for the buck" .... in my evaluation:

I was initially disappoined with the handling.... coming from a CBR600. So this is what I did....

1. Ohlins springs for $120. Totally changed the feel of my handling.... along with some careful tweaking of the rebound and compression damping.

2. Scotts steering damper. Really stabilized my handling in general and gave confidence.

3. Bridgestone BT002r Streets. Best tire I've ever ridden on and I have ridden for decades. Can't say enough about how much stickier these feel.... And I have had Pilot Powers on a CBR600.

4. Helibars. BIG comfort improvement and still looks stock.

5. Morwaki slip-on. Called "Zero" in the USA, it is hand made in Japan expecially for CBR's - no power commander needed, sounds great and added just a bit of sharpness to the feel of the power.

On the street I found little need for more power that comes from lower gearing. What it already has is extremely street friendly and yet big power. This baby can already haul the mail.... unless you plan to use it on track....

The only thing I still consider is an aftermarket shock... not so much for handling, but for a smoother ride... which would still likely translate to better handlig as well.

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts