Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't read unless you're bored and want to whore. Believe me, this isn't to make me feel better about myself.

WWYD?

Last night I get home from work and am kinda bored (a function of no TV). I wonder how many moral conundrums start at the point someone realizes they're bored? Anyway, deciding to do something about it, as well as have an excuse to drink beer on a Monday night, I decide I'll build a return pump line for my fishtank out of 1" PVC pipe.

I head down to the local hardware store for some fittings and a section of 1" PVC. One of the fittings is a union, and these little suckers are kinda pricey for a fitting, like $5. So I pay, and notice the bill is too small walking out. I'd screwed an adapter into the union, and the dude had only scanned the 50¢ adapter. I smile, decide to do the right thing, and walk right back to the clerk.

I wait for him to finish with his current customer. There are many more in line. I politely interrupt and tell the guy, "hey I don't think you charged me for this union".

The people waiting all smile, and talk of how honest I am. The clerk says, "yes I charged you."

I smile and say, "no, you only scanned the adapter I had screwed in, sorry for the confusion."

Now the clerk is also polite and smiling but firm, "nope, I scanned both!" A pause. "But thanks for coming back!"

I chuckle, and say, "OK man, cool"

Now, had I been shortchanged, I would've forced the issue, but since it wasn't my money, I just didn't care enough to argue with the man.

Would anyone here have insisted you pay for the mistake at that point?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
There's only so much you can do :idunno:

A friend of mine went to buy a wireless router/PCMCIA card a week or so ago, then found it cheaper elsewhere so he went back with the receipt for the price match guarantee. The clerk ended up matching the competitor's price AFTER the rebates and she gave him the rebate forms to fill out still on top of it so he ended up paying $20 less than the competitor. He tried explaining it to the clerk 3 times, but she just didn't get it. He finally threw up his arms and said forget it, walked away :idunno:

You can't help someone who doesn't want help. You can't give your money to someone who doesn't want it, what more can you do?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'd say you fulfilled your moral obligation and I would not have pushed it further either.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I think you did the right thing. He insisted that he charged you correctly after you told him you had not been. :thumb: Very commendable.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
:rotfl:

I think the guy was new. I had 3 reasons for leaving.

1) It wasn't my money (#1 since had it been a mistake overcharging me, I wouldn't have left until it was fixed)
2) At that point I would've had to embarass a nice polite checker, who I'm pretty sure is new
3) The line was long and growing...

I never used to check my receipts. I've gotten in the habit as my local supermarket gives you anything mischarged free. I get something once or twice a month now. :D

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You did the right thing, maybe the cashier didn't want to mess with re-ringing you up again. :idunno:

Last week at Home Depot I purchased 9 boxes of 16x16 tiles. Well the guy was ringing me up as a "will call" since I had to run home to go get the truck. Ended up that Adam was able to come down and meet me with the truck so I just took the tiles outside and waited. (I had already paid). Get home and realize that he didn't charge me for the bag of tile spacers. Didn't worry too much about it since it was only $3.

Well a couple days later Home Depot calls and asks if I am going to come pick up my 9 boxes of tiles :eek: :devil: for a split second it had crossed my mind buuut I ended up saying that I already had them :lilangel:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I think you went above and beyond, and you did the right thing by leaving.

Alex, a similar thing happened to me with a lawnmower, and a friend with a big TV. The guy with the TV would have taken it but when the delivery truck came with it (after he got pissed with waiting and went and got it himself), his son said "Hey Dad, cool, one just like you got yesterday, can I have this one??"

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
You shoulda been more like this little guy---> :rant:

If you'd have made a big scene I bet that snotty little bastard would've taken his money back. :thumb:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Newfie TLR said:
The guy with the TV would have taken it but when the delivery truck came with it (after he got pissed with waiting and went and got it himself), his son said "Hey Dad, cool, one just like you got yesterday, can I have this one??"
:rotfl:

How about if you're some seriously religious person, convinced you'd spend an eternity burning in hell if you lie/cheat/steal? For example, I know religious people that call taking a pen home from work stealing.

Aside from the idea all your friends would be in hell with you anyway, do you still think it's the right thing to walk away knowing you're ahead?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
When I went to pay my tab Sat night they missed a drink so I pointed it out after they had run my card so I said "its okay I'll pay cash for the one you missed" the bartender was like "thank you for being honest" which I felt good about anyways......well last night the same bartender over-charged me 1 drink I pointed it out and she said "nope your the only one drinking these so I couldnt have made a mistake" :rant: I'm like "alright whatever" and paid for the extra drink, but man am I pissed at the principle of it 48hrs after being honest to them they turn around and screw me and I'm a regular at this place.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I think you did the right thing too. I would try as you did to give them what they had coming, but beyond that there isn't much you can do.

When I was 17 and newly in my own apartment, after a couple of months my meager savings account statement showed a balance several hundred dollars higher than what I knew I had. Believe me, at that point in my life I knew down to the penny what I had because I had so few pennies!

I went to the bank and asked the teller what I should do about it. She said "If I were you, I'd just go ahead and spend it." I was surprised to say the least.

I bought a new stereo. :smilebig:

The bank never asked for their money back and I never figured out what exactly happened.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think you did the right thing. I too was placed in this situation last week. I went in to grab paper for my photo printer, and the guy charge me for 4 ribbons (2 per pack of paper), and 1 pack of paper instead of two. I wrote the check and was walking out to my truck and mentally adding it up. I was amazed at how the price of paper has gone down. I looked at the receipt, and noticed the reason. He forgot to charge me for the other pack of paper. A $75 flub. Like you, I was more shocked at the nonchalant attitude he took to the mistake. Now in my case, he took my money, but did give me a discount. He was glad that I brough it to his attention, but did play down the fact that it would have made a dent in their bottom line.. Amazing.
Fig

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
For a couple of bucks, I dont bother. Its not my job to do their job for them. In figs case, I defintaly would point out that mistake. An extra 49 cent paint tray liner when they charge me for 14 instead of 15, its mine now :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts