Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have tires on my bike, they are in pretty good shape, the edges are about 80% tread left, middle bout 60%. Should I get a new set for trackday, or just use these? Ill research my own brand, so this is not another 'what tires are best' thread.
Another question is that the track says to use watter wetter, if I use engine Ice is that just as good, or should I just get the wetter and forget about it? Thanx.

To all those that reply thanks you, from a 1st timer going to track on 18 OCT woohoo, Im stoked and anxious. I cant wait!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
My 2 cents would be to buy a new set of tires for your track day....save the existing tires for street riding later.....

Have fun on your 1st track day...its a blast!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Sounds like the tires are just 'ok'. Depending on your tech inspector, you may or may not pass. As far as Engine Ice, call the club. Why chance any of it and get rejected and throw your money away.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
I would also say that you'd be better off getting new tires. You're probably okay with what you have, but it would be better to have new ones than to have to call the day early. You'll probably want to drop pressures too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you are going to Jennings, they don't 'require' to change out the coolant anymore. Hell, they don't even do a tech inspection. Just tape your lights, take off the mirrors, and go ride.

I would definitely get some track-oriented tires. You will start finding the limits of street tires even on your first track day. H2's would be a good start.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Please do change out your coolant, even if it's not required. You don't want to be the guy that ruins the day for everyone else in the unfortunate event that you go down.

·
Registered
768 Posts
If it's just one day, and you're just getting started with track days, I think you will be fine with 60% in the center and 80% on the sides. They should last at least one day on the track.

It is nice to have fresh tires without a flattened profile to make the bike handle better. If you don't have a bad flat spot in the back or any cupping or scalloping on the front, it will still handle well.

Good street tires are fine for beggining track riders, IMHO. I still use them after 25+ track days on my 929. Some say that stickier track tires are good insurance, but that does not describe the whole picture.

Just because you put on stickier tires does not, by any stretch, keep you from crashing. I haven't crashed yet at the track. No matter which tires you run, you must ride smart and smooth. Tires don't just drop a rider for no reason. It is generally bad input that takes people down.

Yes, you could hit spilled oil or a wild turkey, but other than that, it is your responsibility to ride within your personal limits.

I see people crashing on much stickier tires all the time. Even though they are running 10 seconds a lap slower than me. I just wanted to make the point that no tire will save you from your own mistakes. Other riders have shown me that over and over and over...

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
That's true.  Good street tires should be fine for a first time track experience.  I got through my first couple of track outings on 207s.  When you start to get faster, you'll want to step up to real track rubber.

I think Pridmore even does his demo rides on regular 208 street tires. Of course, his skill level is slightly on a different plane...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hey, are you implying that I'm not fast yet! LOL! Well, it is true. I'm not the fastest, but faster than most of the guys running track rubber.

I am a weirdo though. People are surprised that I am running as fast as I am on street rubber. But again, I'm doing it without crashes or even close calls. (Knock on wood). I know that won't last forever, and that I'll have to get stickier rubber someday, but it will probably be my own fault if I go down and not purely the tires.

I'm going out to NESBA track days Road America this Saturday and Sunday. I'm bringing a fresh set of tires to use after I use up the ones on the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Not implying at all.

I'm not fast myself but I know I wouldn't be able to go back to pure street tires on the track. One of the hybrid tires like the M1 would probably be okay for trackdays, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable pushing it.

Again, for first time on the track, a good street tire should be fine.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
tigerblade : I'm not fast myself...
That must make me even less fast...

I've seen accomplished riders lapping Gateway on Triumph touring bikes with touring tires. A handful of riders at the last track-day were turning decent lap-times with greasy D207s. In my experiences, I've only had a little slippage after grabbing too much throttle on an exit. Even then, it was mild. So I think that as long as you're not hamfisted, you should be dragging a knee on street-tires just fine. Just take a couple of laps to warm them up first.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I like to brake hard and accellerate harder than I need to during that first (slower) lap to help heat the tires faster. The next lap is faster, then I go for it. You don't want to cruise around too slowly on your 'warmup' lap, or the tires wont get fully warmed. Slower in corners is ok on the warmup, but it helps to charge the straights and use the brakes a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Zippy : I like to brake hard and accellerate harder than I need to during that first (slower) lap to help heat the tires faster.  The next lap is faster, then I go for it.  You don't want to cruise around too slowly on your 'warmup' lap, or the tires wont get fully warmed.  Slower in corners is ok on the warmup, but it helps to charge the straights and use the brakes a bit.
Good advice. A lot of people think that weaving around it what heats the tires. Hard acceleration will do more good. Careful on the front brake before they're up to temp.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Absolutely. You can't just lay into the front brake with cold tires. I like to use them somewhat harder than needed during warmup, but not anywhere near the max.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
tigerblade : Please do change out your coolant, even if it's not required.  You don't want to be the guy that ruins the day for everyone else in the unfortunate event that you go down.

If they are indeed 60%/80% don't worry about your tires, set the pressures correctly and go. The bike would handle better with some new shoes, but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Watch out for turn 8 at Jennings. Take it easy through there on street tires. Ask around the pits, someone pitting near you has gone down there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would say get new tires. The trackday/street tires work well. Stay away from street tires on the track, trust me on this one. Of course I ride a lot faster than most on the track, especially tigerblade.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
smkeatr : Watch out for turn 8 at Jennings.  Take it easy through there on street tires.  Ask around the pits, someone pitting near you has gone down there.  
I never saw the danger in turn 8... *shrug* Lots of people went down there I was told, and I have seen pics, but I have never seen it in person...

I think as long as you don't load the front through their dragging the brakes, you'd be okay... Dunno, maybe I've just never gotten in trouble through there...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts