Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Fireblade with charging problems and I have decided on getting the FH020AA MOSFET RR, I am hoping the stator and battery are not shot too.
My questions are:
1. Has anyone used one of these and did you find any difficulties putting it in place of the OEM unit.
2. I am not sure whether to go with the maxi fuse holder or auto circuit breaker
3. I have been told that it comes with 8 inches of wire from the stator to the new reg/rec but I'm not sure if I need more wire

While I am talking electrics. Sometimes the headlight hasn't come on when the bike has been started but if I push the start button a few times it will be ok. I am not sure what is going on here.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
596 Posts
for the FH020 R/R, i just put one on my 99 900rr (haven't run it yet, still working on the carbs) not sure how much different it is from the 06 blade but on my 99 it was WAY bigger than the stock unit, about 2x. No way it would fit where the stock one was. to mount it i drilled a couple holes in the seat sub frame and just moved it back a little so it would still fit under the fairings. I ordered the wiring with 20" leads instead of 14" which was my other option but the 20" was a bit long. how long you will need depends where you mount the R/R. my plugs were melted so I did some other rewiring while i was in there as well. I went with just a regular fuse holder, but the one i got is weather proof.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
i can't see any of those images, has a fireblades.org message that says someone is leeching the image from fireblades.org.

i used a harness from EasterBeaver, seen here, however it says if you have (stock) an FH014 on a newer CBR1000 his connectors won't work, not sure if that applies to you or not.

R/R Connectors

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
684 Posts
I imagine all these parts from 'elsewhere' are imports, Roger winds all his stators and handbuilds the RR's etc, got a stator off him a few weeks back, as he's only down the road from me. Chatting to a local mechanic, he's old skool famous in the sidecar racing world. Still gives you a solid 12 month warranty though.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The FH020aa R/R i got was from Shindengen, as I understand it they make the majority of the R/R's for Japanese sport bikes. Eastern Beaver is a Japanese company, and Rick's stators (what i have in my bike now) are US made and also have a 12 month warranty. whatever you are most comfortable with i guess. I would stay away from low cost MOSFET R/R's from ebay as they are likely cheap Chinese knock offs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I run a 05 zx10r R/R in my 00 929RR and running a stator out of a 82 VT 500....go figure and running strong after 3+ years

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've now had a new oem stator put on as well as a new battery (Motobatt MBTZ10S), and a FH020AA MOSFET reg/rec.
The garage needed to put the new reg/rec on its side but my concern is that I can see the plugs into it poking out the side of the fairing.
Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem please?

·
Registered
684 Posts
On it's side? Does it go under rear pillion plastics, like on 929? AFAIK, the RR should be fastened to frame, to help dissipate heat, if it has to be frigged to fit, then overheating can occur, and as overheating is main failure cause, then oops. As for plugs poking out of the fairing, no issue as long as you never see rain.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If the connectors used are weather proof you'll probably be fine. heck you're prob fine either way, as even in the stock location mine would get wet all the time so i don't think water is gonna hurt it. without weather proof connectors you could corrode the contacts over time, increasing resistance and causing excess heat or more burned up harnesses but it depends how far it is exposed. Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The connectors are what Jack (Roadstercycle.com) supplies with his Superkit but I will get a photo posted up later. Cheers guys for advice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts