Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can anyone out there shed some light on why the thermal efficiency of this thing is so high?
:huh:

Edit:
Maybe I should rephrase that question before some technocrat comes along and lectures on the fallacy of discussing "thermal efficiency".

Can anyone out there shed some light on why the BSFC of this thing is so low...?

:smilebig:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My, my! Now that's a sizeable piston :shocked: .

Don't think my Volvo diesel (terrible admission, I know) can manage that but it does average a real world 50mpg (imp) at motorway speeds. With five people that's 250 mpgpp compared to a bike's 35mpgpp.

Can you imagine the flywheel effect? :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
This was a misprint right and the guys working on this engine only 4" tall :eyebrows:

Man that thing is though.......

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Baketech said:
Can anyone out there shed some light on why the thermal efficiency of this thing is so high?
:huh:

Edit:
Maybe I should rephrase that question before some technocrat comes along and lectures on the fallacy of discussing "thermal efficiency".

Can anyone out there shed some light on why the BSFC of this thing is so low...?

:smilebig:
First, in general diesel cycle engines are theoretically, and practically, more efficient. Diesel contains more energy than gasoline. The diesel cycle itself is more efficient. This can be seen in their PV diagrams. They also produce lower combustion temps, so they need less cooling, so they waste less heat... So why is it better than a diesel car engine?

Mostly because these motors operate at very low RPM. Comparitively, the amount of work lost to friction and pumping losses in very large motors is small as opposed to a small car or truck engine. Also, because they are at lower RPM, they are sending less heat out the exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts