·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I guess what really pisses me off, is that a publication, ostensibly about health, puts forward a study which questions the health benefits of running based on this.

You know, we're already too damn fat as a country and one of the best things most people could do is get out, alone or with someone, and run a bit.

And to imply running (or cycling, or riding) alone isn't therapeutic...is something I'd imagine written by a overweight "scientist", with chair ass, that has never got out and done it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The implications for humans aren't clear.
They did put this statement in, but like you said I don't know where the comparison came form? :idunno:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the end they also say:

And second, the rats in solitary confinement weren't exposed to any other rats at all. "Humans living alone typically have lots of other social contact -- at work, shopping, on the phone, social outings," Gould said.

Still, the findings do provide more
Now, I don't know if this "study" was funded by some group interested in research on runners or what, but the title the researchers grabbed headlines with was about running.

I think this article is scientifically unethical.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I question if the journal article really deals with this or if the newspaper made up their own title.

Research is published as quickly as it can. If they find something interesting like with this one they will send it out. I doubt however that it is finished in any way. It would not suprise me if the first sentance in the journal says something like "In our journey to understand the effects on solo runners we have discovered...."
Which by no means solo runners will eventually become retarded. (I think they are a little retarded to beging with)
I could see this being the preliminary study on solo running.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kuss929 said:
I have not seen the title to the article yet. The title in that link is a news title.
Here's the abstract.

You have to pay for the article, but the news articles could've been basically written from the abstract.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Well it is research that has been done and the general public should pay as much attention to it as it does any other single journal article. None.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kuss929 said:
Well it is research that has been done and the general public should pay as much attention to it as it does any other single journal article. None.
:rotfl:

Only one thing, they grabbed headlines.

If the scientists are supposed to operate at a level better than sensationalism...they have to accept the ethos of making their work public.

In this case...they've given people a reason, under the auspices of science...to sit on their ass and do nothing.

·
Registered
900 Posts
When writing journals or patents it is understood that your audience is someone skilled enough in the field to duplicate your work.
Newspapers do not fall into this category. It is too bad for them that pig farmers do not publish as much as they use to.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've written lots of both. And I only agree on the patent issue. Only a patent specifies "someone skilled in the art" must be able to replicate the invention for it to be a valid patent.

In publishing a study, you're supposed to put forward the information that allows someone else to do your study if they so choose, and repeat the same results. If this doesn't appear to have happened, the reviewers of the abstract should've stopped the paper in it's tracks. If this isn't possible, than the paper is supposed to be ignored...as so many have been.

I don't have issue with their data. Nor do I find it surprising that an isolated rat has more stress.

I have real issue with the gigantic leap that this somehow applies to human runners being isolated for a comparitively small amount of time while running. And the scientists did not give one shred of evidence that it applies in this case.

This research is worthy in regards to total isolation of social animals...but no more than that.

I also see from the Times UK article, at least Gould gave an interview. Who knows how this became public...did they, or the school's MARCOM dept contact newsagencies...or did some newsie find it? (Personally I'm going with the first)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts