Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
QP1.  

Mod:  If you can change to Motegi, I'm fat fingering this morning  and I am Pete's bitch. <-- you Bastard!

Edwards, the Hopper, and Nicky almost in a row, now that would be some cool

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Look at the Tornado qualifying in 8th so far. Way to go Colin!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
QP2 was even more interesting...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nicky was on pole with 13 min. left, and then the usual flurry of fast laps came in. Still, Hayden held onto 5th. Edwards and Hopkins, however, could not pick up the pace ending up 13th and 16th on the grid, respectively. I'll be watching Tamada, on the Bridgestones closely, seems they have made a breakthrough with the 'Stones as of late.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

What a race by Rossi, bad mistake, but the laps he put together shortly thereafter were incredible. Nobody else in the field can do that, amazing once again. It sure makes for some excellent viewing, but I bet he is pissed off about it

Although Hayden finished 4th, Tamada's overtaking of Gibernau was ruled illegal and he was disqualified, so Nicky gets on the podium by default.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not taking anything away from Max, but after Rossi screwed up, it was awesome watching him move back up through the field to claim second.

I didn't know Nicky got third until I saw the results that Booth posted.

GO NICKY!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Great race to watch. I was kind of hoping we'd get to see Gibernau get off his bike and kick the #### out of Tamada in the pits. He richly deserved to be DQ'd at the very least. That was quite the NASCAR move.

Wonder if the gorilla is finally off Max's back. Did he ever win a close one against the Kid at the 125 or 250 level, or did he 'graduate' before Rossi got there?

And Nicky, way to go.

·
Registered
497 Posts
WildBillF1 : I didn't know Nicky got third until I saw the results that Booth posted.
I watched the race and they never said anything about Tamada being disqualified. Unless I just didn't hear it. That was a rather aggresive pass he put on Sete. I didn't know they would classify it as illegal though. Had plenty of track to use but I kinda considered it racing.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What's also worth noting is that Hopkins has been suspended from the NEXT race for the move he pulled at the first corner that took out Bayliss, Checa and Edwards. I do not recall a penalty like that being dished out for quite a while.

Mickyboy

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Great race....!

I really felt like Hayden would podium this race, so I was bummed to see Tamada come knocking...you could see he was was over-riding a bit, and I think Hayden made a mature decision to let him go. I thought he would fall, but instead he took out Sete.....

Not sure if I agree with the penalty....but that's racing...

Honda Quotes:

Max Biaggi
Camel Pramac Pons: 1st
'This was a tough, difficult and complicated race because the rhythm throughout the race was very high. I made a good start and got ahead of Gibernau to take the lead. When I saw that Rossi had overshot the corner I maintained the rhythm to try and build up a good lead and not lose concentration for a second. Two laps from the end I nearly fell. I really thought I was going to ground as the bike wobbled, but it was a miracle that I managed to stay on the bike. I am obviously very happy and the team has worked really well this weekend. It has been one of the best Grand Prix of the year and I would like to dedicate it to Daijiro Kato.'

Valentino Rossi
Repsol Honda Team: 2nd
'After a few laps I made a mistake in the braking at the first corner. I lost the control of my bike. I went straight on at the corner and the situation was very bad with Gibernau in second place and me in ninth. After it was possible to recover. I rode well and made the fastest lap and it was possible to come back to the second group. At the end it was possible to overtake everyone and to make a good lap on the last lap. Also Sete had some problems so I recovered some points. It is possible to arrive in Malaysia with a big advantage.'

Nicky Hayden
Repsol Honda Team: 3rd
'I just heard that Tamada has been disqualified and I guess that has moved me up to third. It's not the way I want to move up the tables. I want a proper podium and that's what I'll be workin' hard for. That was a wild race for sure! I wish I was scrapping for the win but I'm pretty happy with a season's best placing. I was ridin' real hard. Felt like a squirrel a few times. I was all over the place. I need to smooth things out a little bit. At the end of the race I made a little mistake and a gap opened between me and those Gibernau and Tamada. I would like to have been a little closer to take advantage but hay! I'm still learnin' every week. Moved up the riders table as well in the right direction!'

Sete Gibernau
Telefonica MoviStar Honda: 4th
'I think it was one of my most difficult race ever I had. I was physically struggling all weekend. Yesterday I had a 38º fever and also this morning. In the race I gave everything but I could only see two metres ahead because my eyes were watering. In fact, I almost hit another rider several times because I couldn't see. Despite my condition, the fantastic work by the team over the weekend allowed me to fight at the front. It is a shame that Tamada made a dangerous move on the last lap. Luckily I didn't fall and now I can look forward to the next race when I hope to be in better shape. Finally, I would like to thank the Clinica Mobile staff for their help leading up to the race and even afterwards, because I felt very weak when I got off the bike.'

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Hopper's riding style has changed a bit as of late....I think he's feeling the heat, and it would appear that he has adopted somewhat of a 'win it or bin it' mentality....

Here's what his girly had to say about the day.....guess she hadn't heard about the Malaysia ban at the time she penned it....

Bad Day For Our Side

(October 5th, 2003)-Well let's start off by saying sorry to those who were involved in the first turn crash. John's alright but feels like crap as do most people when you make mistakes. I'm sure the other riders are pissed, we completely understand the frustration. #### happens and there are apologies.

In the beginning of the race, John got into the first turn alittle too hot and took a few of the guys out, Troy, Carlos, himself and Colin got in it as well but he eventually rejoined the race. It was an all out battle for the Honda riders, Makoto, Nicky, Sete, Vale, Max were all dookin' it out. Max got into the lead and stayed pretty much infront of the pack the whole time. Vale ran wide on one turn and that caused him to go back into 9th place. But what a fighter, he was *&^%ing determined to get up there. Max had a decent lead ahead of Sete, Nicky and Makoto, but Vale was gaining ground every lap while those three were going at it. Towards the end of the race, Vale looked like he almost took out Nicky but saved it while Nicky was fighting Makoto. On the last lap, Makoto nudged Nicky and then nudged Sete fighting for 3rd place. Sete ran off the track with about 3 turns left of the race and he ended up getting 5th place.Vale eventually passed them and took 2nd, while the Roman took 1st, and Makoto got 3rd. Good for Max, but don't get a big head.

That's all that was quite exciting apart from the first turn pile up. Honda track, Honda win. Gaz had to pull into the pits cause' his bike had problems along with Chris Burns. #### happens eh?

Alright well gotta pack up, so until Malaysia.

·
Registered
356 Posts
tamada was riding like an a$$hole and the penalty was well deserved. he almost took out hayden before running in to sete. i thought sete was going to go down at 130mph. i think they should fine tamada as well to drive the point home. racing is good but he was being dangerous; riding without concern for the safety of his fellow riders. the penalty was good news to my ears.

and: well done nicky! great race!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nicky did great.  He even commented post race than he was riding like a 'squirrel' (his words, not mine) at times.  Also saying that he hoped the next race he could calm down and ride a little more smoothly through the whole race.  None-the-less, I'd be happy to ride like that.  He had er' real side-ways a few times!  

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The penalty was well deserved. He literally came up to Sete and pushed him into the weeds. I watched it four times and it looked worse everytime I saw it.
As for Nicky, he has a major problem as I see it. Although he can rip some good lap times (almost with the best of them), He's unable or unwilling to pull off the pass. As I recall, he didn't pass anyone. People were falling out in front of him or making misstakes. Again, no passing. I think if he can make it to the next platue (passing a few of the front runners) at those speeds, he'll have something for Sete, Loris and Max. I still think Rossi is on an Island by himself despite coming in second. To me, Max didn't prove anything Sunday exept that he didn't crash because he wasn't chasing Ratboy (Val. R).

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
nedro : As for Nicky, he has a major problem as I see it. Although he can rip some good lap times (almost with the best of them), He's unable or unwilling to pull off the pass. As I recall, he didn't pass anyone. People were falling out in front of him or making misstakes. Again, no passing. I think if he can make it to the next platue (passing a few of the front runners)
Actually, there was one pass that he made, and I think it was against Tamada, and Rossi came through with him as they came out of a slow right turn followed pretty quickly by left turn. Though I don't think I'd classify it as a 'major' problem at this point, his reluctance to dice it out is obvious. IMO, it's just part of the learning curve he's going through, and I think he's come quite a long ways pretty quickly. He'll get there.

Oh, btw, it's spelled 'plateau.'

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I think Nicky is being conservative, as he has all year. He's learning a ton and will no doubt be a regular threat in coming seasons.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
What I dig about Nicky is his style is back. It looked like Rossi couldn't figure it out when he needed to pass. Nicky spits that back end out so much its almost freaky.

Next year he may be on the A bike, and his aggresiveness will come back, it's just too unfamiliar still.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Pete : Actually, there was one pass that he made, and I think it was against Tamada, and Rossi came through with him as they came out of a slow right turn followed pretty quickly by left turn.
You could also count the 'pass' he made on the start....

I don't see his lack of passing as 'reluctance' or a 'problem'.....

I will wager that its more a byproduct of learning the tracks, and riders. As you all know....some places are conducive to passing, while others are not....and at MGP speeds, that is a steep learning curve.....ala Tamada's escapade.
Also, he is running with a different group of riders the last 3 races, so in addition to the track, he must learn their habits as well.

You are witnessing maturity, not reluctance....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts