Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a spill at little T on the 954.  The bike flipped and I had to reset the key (bank angle sensor) to get it to start.  It smoked a little...I assume some oil leaked past the rings.  It must have burnt off...it don't smoke any more.  Now my problem is that I now have to give my bike gas to start and it's like starting my old kawa (cold)....sometimes completely draining my battery.  It always started very easily before the crash.  Also seems like my mapping is off.  Almost dies if you let the rpms fall off and don't blip the throttle.

Everything else seems fine.  No strange noises and still runs strong.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
do you have a PC3? Have you tried to disconnect the battery for a few minutes?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PC3r & Arata.....I did not disconnect it. I assume I won't loose my map? Reminds me that I need to save my current map anyway! What is that suppose to do?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ND4SPDSHO : Broken wire leading to a sensor somewhere maybe?!
I would think if that was the case it wouldn't start at all. Unless it has something to do with how FI handles cold starts(choke). I assume the FI automatically compensates for cold starts (some kind of choke).

I'll read my service manual when I get home.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
maybe some oil in the airbox, why you got the smoking...

Also, PCIII's are kinda sensitive. A good jar like that could have tweaked it. Check your sidestand switches/pass throughs also. Something could have came loose.

Get the wiring schematic out and check every 'joint' in the harness. Thats where I'd start...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just tried it again...wouldn't start...then dead battery.  Hooked up the charger and it started right up, as usual.  The spil must have damaged a cell or two....

Just read another post were batteries are about 100$ Ouch!

·
Registered
576 Posts
02FBlade : I just tried it again...wouldn't start...then dead battery.  Hooked up the charger and it started right up, as usual.  The spil must have damaged a cell or two....

Just read another post were batteries are about 100$ Ouch!
I'd start with the battery. You now have a bad one. Good point about the spill damaging a cell or two.

The only other thing I can think of is starter valves. I'm going to adjust mine as soon as the tool arrives. The symptoms I'm experiencing are not too different from yours - inconsistent idle and also the temperature increases quickly when I stop in traffic. Anyway it's not inconceiviable that they could have been thrown out of wack during the flip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ahh...multiple questions i can answer. i've wrecked my 929 TONS of times.

first, the oil was oil taht got in the airbox so it burned it when you started it..happens when i bike leans over far enough. it's normal, didn't cause engine damage, don't worry.

the bike being weird...never had that problem, my thoughts would be the damanged PC3 because they are junk to begin with.

the spill could have, but more than likely didn't damage the battery, but that sound like it is the problem, i just doubt it was done by the crash. mine is running stock battery still and it's been down and flipped many times.

check for loose wires somewhere, posisbly ground on the battery or something.

try taking that pc3 off and run it normal. it's built from honda that way so i'm sure it should run good without the pc3. :cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also check your stator if it landed on that side. I've had a stator bend inside the case and had almost the same problem you are talking about. It wouldn't start easy. If I jumped it it would run fine. I also thought it was a battery but it wasn't. Do your gauges still work properly? Mine would go blank after a few minutes unless I shut it off and restart it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mental said:
Also check your stator if it landed on that side. I've had a stator bend inside the case and had almost the same problem you are talking about. It wouldn't start easy. If I jumped it it would run fine. I also thought it was a battery but it wasn't. Do your gauges still work properly? Mine would go blank after a few minutes unless I shut it off and restart it.
that's another good piece of advice. i never thought about that one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts