Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Chain said:
Hope this isn't a repost (if it is, could a mod please delete?).

It's a very well written, comprehensive review of the current crop of 1000cc repli fours.

Enjoy.

http://www.motorcycleusa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=650&Page=1

another vote for the Kawasaki huh?? wow! pretty amazing....I do wonder though if the writers are just in love with the power and ferocity of the bike or is it REALLY that good??? :idunno: either way, another vote for the 10R....

·
Registered
215 Posts
All I can say is my buddies 636 stomps all over. Thing handles great. Makes awesome power and I would say the fit and finish is pretty damn good. The 636 is almost enough to make me trade in my 929. I can only imagine how good the ZX10 is going to be. If it's as nice as the 636 with big power, I might have a kwacker in the garage. :eek:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I've been on the ZX-10's jock since it came out. If I was going to get back into riding again and wanted a liter-bike, I'd be all over the solid green one. Given that they're guestimating 50 more HP than the 636 (that might be a little exaggerated), I'm sure it's going to be similar to comparing the Gixxer 1000 to its 600cc brother.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Same here. I've been saying for a year now, if the ZX10 is anything like the 636 (buddy got in May), it's going to be a monster. I've gotten considerable seat time on it (prolly 1000mi at this point) and I will say it's damn impressive. It pulls my butt damn near as well as my 929. It's got nothing down low but above 8-9k, it gets going pretty well. The ZX10 is basically a big motored version. I'm betting it's going to be down right scary to ride.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
It looks great. As long as the tranny is sorted, it's gonna be hard to beat.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ya, read that about the tranny. My buddies 636 was notchy as a MF'er when new. I thought maybe there was something wrong. It's now 7400mi old with some serious riding and still solid as a rock and shifting great now. I think kawa really used a heavy undercut on the gears. Betting that is why the ZX10 feels rough. Have to wait and see but looks like kawa is really stepping up.

Now that's not to say the 929 is ready to lay over and die ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
ZX10...monster power, they have the tranny sorted, but it is difficult to ride.....says the little bird in my ear..

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Being a Honda fan sense the early 90's, it's pretty obvious over the past 3-4 years Honda has been...shall I say a tic behind. Someone said in another thread that even with all the "race" engineering and background put into this bike, it's still "behind".

Wait for the track you say? The ZX10 has a 30lb advantage over the 1000RR, so I dont think much will be gained by Honda in that category either. Maybe 2006 will be the year of Honda?

All this being said, I realize the street is no place to prove the shortfalls of a sport bike, but it sure is a defining show of market share, which Honda may have lost over the last few years...and may continue. :idunno:

·
Registered
280 Posts
BigDawg said:
Same here. I've been saying for a year now, if the ZX10 is anything like the 636 (buddy got in May), it's going to be a monster. I've gotten considerable seat time on it (prolly 1000mi at this point) and I will say it's damn impressive. It pulls my butt damn near as well as my 929. It's got nothing down low but above 8-9k, it gets going pretty well. The ZX10 is basically a big motored version. I'm betting it's going to be down right scary to ride.
Ditto that. A friend bought a CBR600RR and a ZX-6R at the same time. He ended up selling the CBR 'cause the 636 is so much more fun to ride. Nothing specifically wrong with the Honda, very planted, smooth, etc. Just not as fun, according to him.

From the early magazine reports, it sounds as if the CBR1000RR may suffer the same problem. The ZX-10R sounds like a lot of fun to me. Waiting for the call from the local dealership, telling me that my ZX-10R has arrived. I take my Kawi black, thank you. :hyper:

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
roadrunner954 said:
Being a Honda fan sense the early 90's, it's pretty obvious over the past 3-4 years Honda has been...shall I say a tic behind. Someone said in another thread that even with all the "race" engineering and background put into this bike, it's still "behind".

Wait for the track you say? The ZX10 has a 30lb advantage over the 1000RR, so I dont think much will be gained by Honda in that category either. Maybe 2006 will be the year of Honda?

All this being said, I realize the street is no place to prove the shortfalls of a sport bike, but it sure is a defining show of market share, which Honda may have lost over the last few years...and may continue. :idunno:
Great post, Rob.

I gotta say, were I in the market for a 1000cc repli-racer, there would be a strong urge to buy the Kaw if for no other reason than bragging rights - it'd be cool to have the biggest dog on the block.

Problem for me is, it really isn't the biggest, dimensionally anyway. The reports indicates the bike feels like a 400(!!) - after owning a Gixxer thou and the 954, I don't think I'll ever be comfortable on a bike so tiny again.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Before experiencing the full-throttle warp drive that the ZX can deliver, we suggest a few weeks in the gym, as speed piles on in 10-mph gulps that make a rider feel like he's just been thrust into a to-the-death tug-of-war with The Rock. Its get-go from a dead stop is slightly muted by an overly tall first gear, but once it hits 7000 rpm this thing is a missile until it signs off 6000 rpm later.

Even reading statements like these make me cringe a little. Do I even want a monster that has that kind of scary ass speed? It definately would be an adrenaline rush, but for how long? Who's going to have the ability and control to tame a beast like that, everyday?

I still have this thought of getting (trading in)a 600 or 750 for mostly track days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts