Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has read the helmet article "Blowing the Lid Off" in the latest Motorcyclist? I found the results very surprising. It got me thinking of buying a Non-Snell helmet next time. The eighty dollar Z1R seems to have done real well. Any thoughts or opinions?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Northy said:
Who has read the helmet article "Blowing the Lid Off" in the latest Motorcyclist? I found the results very surprising. It got me thinking of buying a Non-Snell helmet next time. The eighty dollar Z1R seems to have done real well. Any thoughts or opinions?
Haven't read the article, but don't try to go through tech inspection for a race with a Non-Snell rated helmet . . .

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Northy said:

You go and buy the $80 one and give me the the one in your avatar please... :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
CBR929RE said:
:huh: is the june issue out already? its not in the latest issue I have (may)
It's in the June issue. It came in the mail yesterday.

ABTECH said:
Haven't read the article, but don't try to go through tech inspection for a race with a Non-Snell rated helmet . . .
It says AMA accepts DOT, ECE 22-05 (European standard), BSI 6658 Type A (Standard in Britain) or Snell M-2000 (Mainly used in the US) rated helmets. FIM accepts all except DOT. I've always bought snell rated helmets because I thought they were better. :idunno:

Northern RR said:
You go and buy the $80 one and give me the the one in your avatar please...
I think I'll keep it for a little bit longer. It's the best fitting (for my head) helmet I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
have they put them in some sort of order?
Northy said:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The fewer the Gs the better for your head. Here's how they rated them.

(P) = Polycarbonate Shell / (F) = Fiberglass Shell

DOT-Only Helmets
Z1R ZRP-1 (P) - 152Gs
Fulmer AFD4 (P) - 157Gs
Raider (from Pep Boys) (P) - 174Gs

BSI/DOT Helmets
AGV TI-Tech (F) - 169Gs
Suomy Spec 1R (F) - 182Gs

ECE/DOT Helmets
Schuberths S-1 (F) - 161Gs
Suomy Spec 1R (F) - 171Gs Same helmet as above built differently to meet different standards
Shark RSX (F) - 173Gs
Vemar VSR (F) - 174Gs

SNELL/DOT
ICON Mainframe (P) - 181Gs
ICON Alliance (F) - 183Gs
Scorpion EXO-400 (P) - 187Gs
AGV X-R2 (F) - 188Gs
Aria Tracker GT (F) - 201Gs
HJC AC-11 (F) - 204Gs
Scorpion EXO-700 (F) - 211Gs

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
:eek:

Northy said:
The fewer the Gs the better for your head. Here's how they rated them.

(P) = Polycarbonate Shell / (F) = Fiberglass Shell

DOT-Only Helmets
Z1R ZRP-1 (P) - 152Gs
Fulmer AFD4 (P) - 157Gs
Raider (from Pep Boys) (P) - 174Gs

BSI/DOT Helmets
AGV TI-Tech (F) - 169Gs
Suomy Spec 1R (F) - 182Gs

ECE/DOT Helmets
Schuberths S-1 (F) - 161Gs
Suomy Spec 1R (F) - 171Gs Same helmet as above built differently to meet different standards
Shark RSX (F) - 173Gs
Vemar VSR (F) - 174Gs

SNELL/DOT
ICON Mainframe (P) - 181Gs
ICON Alliance (F) - 183Gs
Scorpion EXO-400 (P) - 187Gs
AGV X-R2 (F) - 188Gs
Aria Tracker GT (F) - 201Gs
HJC AC-11 (F) - 204Gs
Scorpion EXO-700 (F) - 211Gs

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
had to go out to the mailbox and get it.

really makes you wonder what the hell the people at Snell are thinking. I like the idea of my head absorbing less Gs. They also don't seem to know that increasing the mass of the head increases its weight.

I think I'm still pretty confident in how my non Snell Suomy will do in a crash. I think regardless of the standard I would be ok with any of those helmets because of how much better helmets are now in general as compared to 10 years ago.

There's also other stuff to consider when buying a helmet anyway, such as the actual comfort while riding. so this isn't the only thing to consider. A lighter well ventillated helmet will be much more of a pleasure to have on your head duringa hot summer day.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yeah, where are the Shoeis? They are really popular, I think it would have been a good idea to test a few...

1 - 20 of 113 Posts