Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here used any of those mp3 download sites that you pay for each song you download? What are the best sites and the cheapest? Does it really work well or is it a pain in the ass?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
iTunes is okay - a buck per song, decent quantity of music available.

Walmart.com has them for $0.88 per song, and Real.com had them for $0.49 per song last time I checked. All work about the same, with certain restrictions on use of the file once you get it.

Available music is pretty thorough for popular stuff, but the jazz and blues I prefer is a little more limited in scope.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I have used iTunes and it is very convenient. Also the ability to listen to snippets of song is great (have both bought and not bought based on these). The downside is the copy protection. While itunes is not overly bad I still prefer zero (and you can export to a different format). That is the thing I would check on a service is the copy protection and format. One advantage of a CD is you have it and can convert the uncompressed audio to a form of your choice in the future. :idunno:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is eye opening news to me. :eek: I did not kow that songs that you download have protection on them. I guess it still better to buy the CD.

I guess I will have to buy that Ashlee Simpson CD afterall. :smilebig:

The only thing that sucks about that is you are also buying the crappy songs as well as the one you want to listen to. This is the why I do not buy CDs anymore. Music industry, are you listening? :allears:

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
colryn said:
This is eye opening news to me. :eek: I did not kow that songs that you download have protection on them. I guess it still better to buy the CD.

The only thing that sucks about that is you are also buying the crappy songs as well as the one you want to listen to. This is the why I do not buy CDs anymore. Music industry, are you listening? :allears:
:rolleyes: make it stop :rotfl:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
colryn said:

You heard my opinion of DRM but if by "not buy" you mean download that is stealing :hmm: So I assume you mean you do without or buy less :D

The iTunes DRM is not to bad either and you can buy by song often so that does help your gripe on bad songs.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
iTunes and MusicMatch from Dell.

Who burns cd's anymore? That's so 2002. Put 250 songs on any cd and play in a mp3 player, or just buy a friggin iPod or Jukebox for crying out loud. Stop living in the past man, open your eyes!! :D

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sheepofblue said:
You heard my opinion of DRM but if by "not buy" you mean download that is stealing :hmm: So I assume you mean you do without or buy less :D

Sheep:
I do not condone ripping/copying/stealing music, software or movies. This is why I am inquiring about buying the mp3s. I have not bought a CD in quite some time. I find it hard to shell out $18 on music when I only want one song out of the whole CD. That is hwy downloading only the songs that I want seemed tempting. But, if there are restrictions on it, I will pass.

TGZ:
I am offended that you do not share my enthusiasm in Ashlee Simpsons music. She is one of the greatest new talents out there. :D She can lipsync and do the ho-down with the best of them. What a great live performer.

:p

·
Registered
803 Posts
ConqSoft said:
I've used it some. Mostly MusicNow. A lot of songs have limits on the number of times you can burn them to CD though. Once you hit the limit, you'd have to pay another $0.99 and buy it again to keep burning...
Conq,
Any idea how they might be enforcing this? I mean if it's an internal counter in the file, then just burn the mp3 to a cd, and it's read only. Then you can use this copy to burn your other copies. Or how about burning it to cd, then ripping it right back off the cd. Don't get me wrong here either folks. I am not encouraging unlimited copying, except for your own use. Unless you take pristine care of cds, I find them to be exceedingly fragile. Casettes took way more abuse, albeit at a lower sound quality.

I personally have been looking at Itunes, and also Walmart.com, but just haven't bothered to try them out yet.
Fig

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
colryn said:
Sheep:
TGZ:
I am offended that you do not share my enthusiasm in Ashlee Simpsons music. She is one of the greatest new talents out there. :D She can lipsync and do the ho-down with the best of them. What a great live performer.

Bend her over the table sure thing :thumb:

Listen to her music :dead:

Nuff said :smilebig:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
colryn said:
Sheep:
I do not condone ripping/copying/stealing music, software or movies. This is why I am inquiring about buying the mp3s. I have not bought a CD in quite some time. I find it hard to shell out $18 on music when I only want one song out of the whole CD. That is hwy downloading only the songs that I want seemed tempting. But, if there are restrictions on it, I will pass.

TGZ:

I said I was willing to assume you did not download :p

You might check iTunes you can download a song at a time and preview part of it first. The limitation is 3 burns per songlist (not song) and you can export from base format (think mp4) to mp3 or even aiff. However going from one compression to another will degrade the song unless the compression is lossless (neither format is I believe) Although it is not severe to my ears.

DISCLAIMER: Never trust a sheep verify all of this at the Apple site

·
Registered
564 Posts
when you use sites like winmx..who are you stealing from....the artist gets paid...and screw the record companies...when i BOUGHT limp bizkit 3 dollar bill yall when they were nobody it was 5.99 but when they hit it was a 14.00 cd all of the sudden...who is stealing from who?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts