Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a ms-dos attack scheduled for 8/16

if you have a server, block port 153, if you have msblaster.exe on your system - delete it and get the latest update from your AV vendor

·
Registered
799 Posts
it's a DOS attack (Denial of Service). MS-DOS is Microsoft Disk operating System. Most ISP's right now are filtering all that type of traffic after what happned this past week. If you are behind a firewall then you should be pretty good. Go here, run the patch for your OS, should be fine.

http://microsoft.com/downloa....lang=en

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Sirkbac : it's a DOS attack (Denial of Service).  MS-DOS is Microsoft Disk operating System.  Most ISP's right now are filtering all that type of traffic after what happned this past week.  If you are behind a firewall then you should be pretty good.  Go here, run the patch for your OS, should be fine.

Bad link

·
Registered
799 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : Quote (Sirkbac @ Aug. 13 2003, 9:52am)it's a DOS attack (Denial of Service).  MS-DOS is Microsoft Disk operating System.  Most ISP's right now are filtering all that type of traffic after what happned this past week.  If you are behind a firewall then you should be pretty good.  Go here, run the patch for your OS, should be fine.

Bad link
Sorry, had it pointed directly to the XP install.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet....026.asp

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Mojave954 : We got hit by it already.  What a PITA for a telecommuters.  Easy patch and fix.
Oh you know it. I'm using ComCrap Broadband to connect to my clinets. BIG mistake. 15 hours of downtime.. lots of lost billable hours. Ugh.. What a bunch of boobs...

People who write these things need to be drawn and quartered behind 4 1950' Hardly Ablesons.

Wait.. make that some Honda VTX's I would hate to see them drawn and halved since we all know about Hardly reliablity...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Minor threadjack here.....

Since most of you guys seem to be in computer related fields, and I am not....can you give some insight on these Denial attacks?

I do not understand the motivation for the attacks, or even the satisfaction of doing them. It seems like the challenge is minimal....so what is the impetus for them?

Also, at first glance it seems like this phenomena is more heavily concentrated in the IT community. What would the the analog behaviour in other disciplines?

Just trying to understand.....thanks....

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
MS-DOS attack That's like saying 'Stinky shiznit' Most of the world has known the MS-DOS and Windoze are actually the virus itself, spreading all over the world, enslaving it's users..... dooming us to an endless stream of patches and yearly upgrades

1984, all over again (beware, that's 13.mb of answer)

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Seen that before....
They should have spent the production money on developing apps, then maybe they would have amounted to something.

True...Dos & Windoze aren't perfect...but people were using them productively in industry while the Mac weenies were still trying to buy their way into schools with the bullchit ease of use crap....what a load....

·
Registered
803 Posts
Baketech,
While I am sure there is some malicious intent, hence the ddos attack on microsoft, my guess is someone wrote this to illustrate that it is possible. What I do find intriguing about most of these worms/virii is that real harm could have been done, had the real intent been there. Think about it, you have a way to infect multiple machines, without the user even having to run a piece of software. All they have to be is, connected. It's a dream scenario for someone who wants to do harm. If the author of this particular worm had wanted, he could have had this sit dormant for a week or two, allowing itself to propagate across the obviously unpatched network, and then on a sunday, or maybe monday morning, just reformatted all of the hard drives on the affected machine. Instead, they gave obvious clues to the users that they were infected, and didn't do anything like destroying data. A missed opportunity for the right hacker, probably, but I think whoever wrote this was just doing this to wake up everyone that they aren't safe.

Funny thing, I switched departments, and while I no longer control a couple of servers, I emailed my boss last week that someone should patch those servers, noticing this before the worm hit. Silently, I patched them, and didn't tell anyone. On the day it hit, I mentioned to my boss, not to worry, I had taken care of it, but someone was going to have to do it next time. His boss replied 'Lets get those servers under the control of someone who is paid to do this.' You know ####er! the people 'paid' to do that, missed every machine on our floor, except mine, which I took care of, and didn't even patch those servers. Seems the people paid to do it didn't!! And to imply that I was unqualified was just frankly offensive. I am trying to figure out how to reply without stepping on any toes. What an a$$hole..
Fig

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Fig,

I would hold off on any reply to that comment that was made. While management may have lost touch with their techie-side and for the most part come across as they are from BOFH

Wait for the pat on the back and the 'good job' all the while bite your tounge and look for another job.

That comment can be taken a few different ways. Wait and see what happens come review time....That will be the real truth of how they feel about you.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Playing office politics is a losing proposition.

I would either:

A) let them crash and burn next time

B) start looking for a new job (this compnay is fooked)

C) both!

I've been that 'fix-it' guy.. it never pays off and if something goes wrong it's your butt. Cover yourself, laugh your ass off at the other's incompetance and let those who are territorial about their sand-boxes clean up their own cat-shiznit.

Sorry to hear they did not appreicate a free-thinking, out-of-the-box employee trying to protect the company. They do not deserve your service.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yep, I patched my machine a couple weeks ago, and laughed at our IT guys running around frantically...I'm by no means a computer expert and I knew about this shiznit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts