Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, big shout-out to IanDoohan for helping me with the tire swap.
He had both tires off in a few short minutes, and saved me a headache, time and money! :cheers:
As a new bike owner, I don't have the know-how or resources to perform even simple maintenance projects yet.
I picked up a Haynes repair manual, which will make for some good winter reading.

This is the most recent (07/2014) pic of the rear tire on my bike when I bought it.
It was pretty worn down to begin with, and I rode it right up until it started showing cords,
after putting about another 1500-2000 miles on it. Unfortunately, I don't have a more recent pic.

The new tires are a pair of Battlax S20's. I only had a day with them before putting the bike away for winter,
but I could immediately feel a significant difference. I can't wait to a few thousand miles on them next year!

Shot of the 'finished product' courtesy of IanDoohan:

:smilierr:

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I've always known IanDoohan is a great guy! :thumb:

I've been running the S20's all summer this year, I've found they handle best at around 33/f & 31/r WARM on the street.
That would translate to about 30/f & 27-28/r COLD at 75F degrees.
It seems to me like they never get all that hot on the street, not as hot as other sport tires I'm used to, but the grip is certainly there.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ian put his hands on a fuel injected bike??!!!?????? :eek::eek:

;)

That is a sweet looking machine!!
REALLY like the colors.... :thumb:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
nice work guys. yeah the s20's are a great tire for sure.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,116 Posts
First off, big shout-out to IanDoohan for helping me with the tire swap.
He had both tires off in a few short minutes, and saved me a headache, time and money! :cheers:
As a new bike owner, I don't have the know-how or resources to perform even simple maintenance projects yet.
I picked up a Haynes repair manual, which will make for some good winter reading.

This is the most recent (07/2014) pic of the rear tire on my bike when I bought it.
It was pretty worn down to begin with, and I rode it right up until it started showing cords,
after putting about another 1500-2000 miles on it. Unfortunately, I don't have a more recent pic.

The new tires are a pair of Battlax S20's. I only had a day with them before putting the bike away for winter,
but I could immediately feel a significant difference. I can't wait to a few thousand miles on them next year!

Shot of the 'finished product' courtesy of IanDoohan:

:smilierr:
Thanks Spacs, very nice of ya to say:thumb:

I've always known IanDoohan is a great guy! :thumb:
I appreciate that Jon, back atcha:patriot:

Ian put his hands on a fuel injected bike??!!!?????? :eek::eek:

Good thing it runs with no issues. :rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Mmm new tyres get me moist. S20 are a great tyre, one of the few choices available for my 16" front 900 so wasnt hard choice for me but holy cow were they an upgrade from my old battlaxes. They stick like sh*t to a blanket. Ive got virtually no chicken strip on the back already and havnt even tried using the soft tyre pressures yet you guys have been reccomending or even been on a winding road yet. Confidence levels through the roof (which may or may not be a good thing) but it just a more capable bike now.
+1 x infinity x 10 -3 /2 +4^5 on Ian being a top bloke too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
S20's are a great choice. I'm on my second set and love them. I'm really interested in all of the different tyre pressures people are running. I've always run with the manufacturer guidelines so 36 front and 42 rear which always seems high to me. I think I'll try a bit less next summer and see what that's like.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
S20's are a great choice. I'm on my second set and love them. I'm really interested in all of the different tyre pressures people are running. I've always run with the manufacturer guidelines so 36 front and 42 rear which always seems high to me. I think I'll try a bit less next summer and see what that's like.
thats higher than you need for sure. i wouldnt even run umm that high 2up. when they are at those pressures the tire has no give to it n every little pebble you hit on the road feels like your riding on marbles. try something more in the 32 front and 34 rear. i think youll find it a much better pressure for your tires. youll get better traction and the tire can give a little more on those rocks n such.

i dont mean any disrespect but the only people that run 36/42 are the ones that dont know any better. trust me when i tell you something in the range of what i mentioned will give you better grip and tire performance. but dont just take my word for it, do a forum search on tire pressure n see all the people who will tell you the same thing from street riders to track day stars alike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the advice Kevin, I've had that glass feeling from the front before especially in the wet. I'll run them next summer with those pressures. I take it all as advice, I've been riding for many years but with bikes there's always something to learn, especially from other riders. The bikes away for the winter now as its started snowing here so I've got plenty of time to let some air out ?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Enough tom foolery here, of course you know, your (insert adjective here) assertion of symbols and numerals in no way represent any form of solvable equation. At least not in a mathematical sense. :evilaugh:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thats a fair call, and I respect your opinion to the power of 14 divided by %18 of half a dozen metric gallons when a=32 and x^2 = 3/43 of 1 over 3 thumbs up x 1,000,000

1 - 16 of 16 Posts