Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, had a search but couldn't find any answers so here goes...

Got the usual white muffler problem on a 2009 Fireblade. Did what I thought was a reasonable job of cleaning and prep before lightly spraying with exhaust paint that says it's good to 800 deg c.

Did several gentle heat cycles to cure it, then took it out for a day.

Paint reeled off in a couple of areas when the exhaust cooled right down. Was fine when hot. I'm trying to work out if the muffler gets hotter than 800 deg c, or if I put too much on or what? Anyone done a successful respray... Don't really want to have to take it off the bike and start baking things!

Cheers
Repper

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi, had a search but couldn't find any answers so here goes...

Got the usual white muffler problem on a 2009 Fireblade. Did what I thought was a reasonable job of cleaning and prep before lightly spraying with exhaust paint that says it's good to 800 deg c.

Did several gentle heat cycles to cure it, then took it out for a day.

Paint reeled off in a couple of areas when the exhaust cooled right down. Was fine when hot. I'm trying to work out if the muffler gets hotter than 800 deg c, or if I put too much on or what? Anyone done a successful respray... Don't really want to have to take it off the bike and start baking things!

Cheers
Repper

The headers near the exhaust ports might get as high as 300C under race conditions, but it falls rapidly as you move away from combustion. Expect to see around 220C at the bottom of the headers, and under 200C at the collector. Muffler I've never measured but probably around 150C at most I would guess.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
who needs to take off anything to bake it?? plus you KNOW this is really good for the valves? or is it? lol

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would think that the problem is with your preparation possibly, give it a good clean with degreaser and then prepsol anti wax and finally warm soapy water, wash and dry thoroughly and then several light coats, does the paint need a primer first?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts